AppleCare for north america?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mabyboi, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I have a 32gb iPad that i bought with the extended AppleCare until june of 2012. Im looking to sell my iPad, but since I am in Canada, if I were to sell my iPad to someone in the US would they still be able to use the AppleCare if anything were to happen?

TL;DR: Is AppleCare usable in all of North America if the product was purchased in Canada?

2. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Sorry, don't know

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

As far as I know, AppleCare for iPad is valid worldwide. You can get support anywhere there is an Apple store or authorized service provider.

4. SnowDX macrumors 6502

From this doc http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/NA_APP_iPad_English_v1.2.pdf it seems like the iPad plan is for North America so that it could be transferred to someone in the U.S. But I would call Apple to be sure. Also check out section 6. Transfer of Plan in that doc as there are some explicit instructions to follow.

If transferring doesn't work for any reason, you could get a pro-rated refund for the remainder of the AppleCare. The new guy might be able to buy himself AppleCare since the iPad is still within the one year warranty?

5. Mabyboi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Perfect, thanks. i might see about that refund, it doesnt look like im gonna get all my moneys worth in selling, might aswell get that 110$ back.

6. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Remember, you'll only get the full amount back if it's within 30 days. Otherwise it's pro-rated. So, let's say you bought it with the iPad and have had it for 6 months. You'd get back $109 - $27.25 - $2.73 cancellation fee = $79.02 the cancellation fee coul be $8.18 though as not sure if their 10% fee is on the used portion or unused portion. And I didn't consider any taxes in my example, but you get the picture.