Applecare + for preorders on ATT.com - Hearing different stories from both companies

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by autigerMark, Oct 10, 2011.

1. autigerMark macrumors member

autigerMark

I pre-ordered on ATT.com on Friday so I would be able to keep my grandfathered voice and texting plan. I was not given an option to buy Applecare + on the pre-order page.

So, I called applecare yesterday, and was first told to take the device to an apple store. After I told them that the nearest apple store was over 200 miles away in New Orleans they told me I could bring the device to an ATT store and buy it there.

I went to one of my local ATT stores yesterday to confirm this. At first they didn't know, then found a memo saying all customers who pre-ordered between Oct. 7th and Oct. 13th can call the 1-800 number for applecare to buy applecare +

Called applecare again to confirm this and they told me the exact thing they said the first time - bring the device to an ATT store to get applecare + added.

So I am getting different information from both companies and am just going in circles. LOL. Does anyone have any insight or suggestions to help with this problem?

2. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

I don't know if this is the same for ATT but when I called sprint this is what i was told... I imagine this process will be a similar for ATT and Verizon

Before turning the phone on I'm supposed to activate it on the Sprint site. At that time I will be given an option to purchase AppleCare+

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This is a lot easier to do with the phone in hand. You call Apple and offer to give them $99. They can take your money, or they can tell you to pound sand. Something tells me that by Friday, they will be glad to take your money. AppleCare is a cash cow for them.

4. autigerMark thread starter macrumors member

autigerMark

Hopefully. I was just wanting to get a consensus between ATT and Apple of what direction to go in before this Friday when another 1 Million+ people enter the equation. I imagine it will be difficult to get in touch with both customer services on Friday.

5. autigerMark thread starter macrumors member

autigerMark

Have any at&t iphone users been offered a clear solution to this problem from either party?

(Besides going to an apple store - closest is 3 hr drive for me)

6. autigerMark thread starter macrumors member

autigerMark

7. ArtificialGrape macrumors newbie

I am an ATT customer, but pre-ordered 2 phones from apple.com, but did not order AppleCare+ at the time.

I just called 800-MYAPPLE to see if I could add it -- my orders are still "Preparing for Shipment" so obviously I have not damaged the phones. After putting me on hold for a few minutes the rep came back and said that they could not add it, but to bring the phones to an Apple store where they could be inspected to confirm there was no existing damage, and then I could buy the coverage.

I called my nearest Apple store and the rep there said that they had not yet been given the policy from Apple, so he didn't know what their protocol would be for this scenario, but hopefully they would know in the next day or two.

I don't know if it will be any different at an ATT retail store.

8. sparkhill macrumors regular

I just called Apple and was told by the rep (who had a discussion with her supervisor) that AppleCare+ will be available for purchase at the retail stores until Oct 21st for those who preordered the 4S.