AppleCare for Refrub'd MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AFMSC77, Sep 22, 2014.

1. AFMSC77 macrumors newbie

I'm looking at MBAs in the Apple Refurb Store. What are your thoughts on purchasing AppleCare for it? I've never purchased it for any of my MBPs or iMacs but I've never bought from the Refurb store before either.

Experiences? Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I think it always depends on how much you spend on the Mac, as well as how long you plan on keeping it.

For example, if you get a base model 11 inch Air for 719 from the refurb store, I wouldn't think you should get AC. If you are ordering a maxed out 1500 dollar Air and plan to keep it 5 years, then I'd say it's worth it.

Each person's opinion may be different but I think it really boils down to how much you spend.

3. AFMSC77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! The one I'm looking at is 13" model, with 4GB RAM and 512GB SSD for $1229 in the Refurb store and we'll keep it as long as it lasts. A similarly config'd current model is about $1419 (with military discount) and I can pick up AppleCare for like $183.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

For spending that much, I'd say get the AC if it is still in your budget.

5. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

I pretty much always buy AppleCare for my laptops, and never for my desktops.

Especially if you do a lot of traveling with your MBA, I would get it. It won't cover abuse or damage due to spills, but if there are other issues, you should be covered.

If you can afford it, it definitely can give you peace of mind. I usually buy from these guys; combo of cheapest price and in stock:

B&H photo

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'll be the dissenting opinion here. :)

I think paying ~20% of the cost of a computer for an extra two years warranty is a terrible deal. I have owned multiple iMacs and MacBooks over the last ten years and never once had an issue that I would have used AppleCare for. With the well over $1,000 I have saved on AppleCare I could easily pay for any repair on my current machine and still be ahead.

It is just an an insurance policy Apple is selling to make more money.

Now if you think you will need hand holding over the phone from Apple all the time for questions, there may some value in that part of AC for you.

Check with your CC company. Most and VISA or Amex card now gives you a second year of warranty coverage for free now if you use there card.

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

not to mention it only covers NON-accidental , most damage is accidental such as water spills and drops.