Applecare + for rMBP Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WindWaker, Aug 6, 2012.

1. WindWaker macrumors regular

Hi everybody,

My rMBP order is still processing, and I have just now come to the conclusion that I'd like Applecare + for my computer. How would I go about ordering this? Do I need to wait until I receive my computer to bring it into an Apple Store, or can I order it now (what would I have to do if I did buy it now?)?

Thanks!

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

AppleCare+ only applies to iPhones. However, you can get the regular AppleCare for your rMBP anytime within the first year. You don't need to take it into a store, you just need to activate it once you have the computer (or know the serial). You could look around for the best price, I would suggest looking at Amazon. Unless you qualify for educational pricing, then it is probably cheapest directly through Apple.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

AppleCare + isn't available for the rMBP as far as I understand, only iPhones. For regular AppleCare, you can purchase it any time within the first year of the device and activate it online or in store.

4. WindWaker thread starter macrumors regular

Oh wow, didn't realize that-- thanks!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.