AppleCare for rMBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 09sroyal, Oct 12, 2013.

1. 09sroyal macrumors member

I'm looking to get a new haswell 15" rMBP when it comes out, hopefully at the October 22nd event. I'm in the UK and can use a student discount, making AppleCare £220 for the machine. What are the real benefits of AppleCare, what kind of service will I get from apple without it and any ideas on whether I have to purchase it at the same time as the computer or can wait a month or two down the line when I've got a bit more cash? Thanks in advance

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

The biggest benefits to Applecare are 3 years warranty instead of 1 and peace of mind for those 3 years. I have had it on everything that I own Apple and have only needed for 1 iMac that was an issue, but in the end it was worth every cent. Without Applecare I would have been out of pocket at least the cost of the iMac and still had problems. It also extends you phone support.

When I had problems with iMac, Apple service was very good. Never an issue with them. Without it you will still receive same service but for only 1 year.

You have up to 1 year after purchase to buy the Applecare.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If you're buying your rMBP through University, you're gonna get free three-year warranty free with it anyway (they don't tend to advertise this). The only thing you'd get by purchasing AppleCare will be phone support for those three years, but if there's an Apple Store near you, you don't really need that because your hardware will be covered for 3 years.

4. 09sroyal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys that's told me pretty much everything i need to know. I'll look into the warranty with my uni.

5. Neokiller309 macrumors member

Could you please show me where you get free applecare with education store/university purchases?

I see everyone say this yet nobody has posted proof, And all of the searching that I do only states that is valid in the U.K.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yes, when you buy it, wait a month for the AppleCare to go through, and then go to: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Paste in your serial number and you'll see that you've got three-year hardware warranty. This happens with all educational computer purchases.

I don't know how else I can prove it, other than sending you a screenshot of hardware warranty being 3 years, but phone support being expired?

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yep, so really you'd be paying £220 for Apple phone support, as you get the 3-year hardware warranty as standard. That's £220 that could go towards extra RAM, a bigger HDD or a faster processor. :)