AppleCare for the new MB. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gabe90, Oct 15, 2008.

1. gabe90 macrumors member

So many people on here are listing prices but no one mentions AppleCare. With a first-gen revision from Apple I didn't take any chance and signed up immediately.

Is the general consensus in his board that AppleCare isn't worth the money? Especially with the more accessible HD (the most likely part to break) is AppleCare less and less of a necessity?

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

The previous gen Macbook was easy as hell to replace as well. Any 6 year old could do it.

I always buy Applecare on my laptops.

3. PinkHappy macrumors newbie

I'm definitely going to get AppleCare when I get my new MB, but I was going to wait until the 1 year warranty was almost up before buying it.

4. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

even if you do decide to get applecare, wait until your free 1 year warranty is almost up before getting it. another thing you can do is purchase your mb with an amex card. they have a policy where they'll give you an additional one year warranty on your laptop after the manufacturer warranty ends.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

yeah thats what i did...i had my dad use his AmEx card when i bought mine, but im paying him back for it...just so i can get the extra year of warranty...

6. gabe90 thread starter macrumors member

Just so I am clear, AppleCare covers the same amount of time if you buy it with the computer or if you wait until a year later. Right?

The coverage won't last a year longer by waiting until the 1 year warranty is up, and there is no reason for me to try to return my AppleCare just so I can buy it again aprox. a year from now. Is this right?

7. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Yes. The original warranty and AppleCare are both based on original date of purchase.

Original warranty = 1 year from purchase
    Apple Care = 3 years from date of purchase (Original warranty + 2 years)

The benefit of delaying AppleCare is to delay the AppleCare charge when you purchase your Mac.

8. gabe90 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

9. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Same here! :cool: But, I don't think I'll end up doing it because I probably will have already bought the 2009 MacBook. ;)

10. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Just buy it and don't look back

My last 2 Mac 'books, earlier white iBook and 12" PB, bought AC and it turned out to be cheaper than needed repairs (mostly HDs, tho a couple other little things).

You obviously don't want to use it, but the piece of mind it brings has some value, certainly.

11. polaris20 macrumors 68020

It's my opinion you should buy an extended warranty on ANY laptop.

12. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I don't buy Applecare as most defects are going to come out in the first year anyway. I have bad luck and usually end up breaking my laptop or spilling something on it or whatever. This isn't covered anyway so it is pointless for me.

13. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

Just buy the applecare right before your one year is up. You can buy applecare on ebay.

14. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I bought AppleCare today because I got a massive student discount on it. It was £47 instead of £199 and that was a good deal. If I had waited to buy it then it would not have been eligible for as big a discount.

15. brettinlj macrumors member

Does anyone know if this kind of discount is available for students in the U.S.? That's about a 75% discount!

16. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

My applecare for my macbook has been worth it. In the past 2 years I have had the top cover replaced, 2 superdrive swaps, and today I may be getting a new logic board so that would have cost me quite a bit if I didn't have it.

17. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Hey I'm pretty disappointed with it - if I had ordered the computer from the online store it would have been free!

18. dougnewman macrumors 6502

You can get an edu discount on AppleCare in the US, but certainly not that large.

The reason the edu discount on AppleCare in the UK is so big is that edu buyers get a three-year warranty anyway, but with only 90 days phone support. So all AppleCare gets them is three years of phone support.

19. ascham87 macrumors regular

ascham87

Especially with a rev-a Apple product, I'd say get the applecare. Hopefully you won't ever have to use it, but I still like having that piece of mind.

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm going to say yay. I got my AppleCare for US$159 off of eBay. Lots of highly rated sellers that specialize in cheap AppleCare.

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'd second this approach. More money in the buyer's pocket is a good thing. ;)

22. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I didn't buy it when I purchased the MacBook, but I will be buying it.

I will also be looking to get if off eBay. I've bought AppleCare off of eBay before, and the savings were significant over what it cost directly from a regular retailer.