AppleCare from 2013 for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sugarvag, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Sugarvag macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

I have bought a MacBook Pro mid-2014 last April (15th) and I'm about to buy AppleCare for 2 additional years of support.

However, because I find it a bit expensive here in Greece (€260), I am looking for online alternatives.

I have found a UK based eBay seller selling a 2013 package for 'MacBook Air / MacBook Pro', which is significantly cheaper (about €180).

My question is, does that package cover my retina MacBook Pro model or should I buy a newer AppleCare pack?

2. Jozone macrumors 6502

If you have a 15'' that is not the correct AppleCare SKU -- I would highly recommend NOT buying Applecare from eBay regardless as there have been a number of issues with fakes (which may validate, but then come time for service, you wont have proper documentation for coverage).

3. Sugarvag thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer.
    I forgot to write it's a 13" model and the seller has a 100% positive feedback, if that matters.

4. Jozone macrumors 6502

Well, those are both good things then! -- the only thing is that you're proof of purchase for the AppleCare wouldnt be from an authorized dealer. It'll end up being your decision if its worth the risk. I thought the EU had a minimum 2 year warranty for everything?

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- We do. Two years.

6. Sugarvag thread starter macrumors newbie

So, in order to get support you need proof of purchase for the AppleCare? Isn't the online registration enough?

Yes, the EU has a two year warranty, but you have to return the device to the point of sale, which in my case is the UK (I live in Greece).