Applecare from Amazon

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bkoehler, Sep 27, 2009.

1. bkoehler macrumors newbie

I finally got my iMac last week and am loving it, even with the rumors of a soon to be released new model. Anyway, I was going to buy Applecare from LA Computer but realized that Amazon is cheaper ($127 vs $139). However I realized that the Apple part number is different from both LA Computer and Apple. The Amazon # is MA520LL/A and the Apple # is MB585LL/A. Amazon says this is for the iMac and if I search for the Apple # it comes back with this part.
    Does anybody have experience with Applecare thru Amazon and if this is the correct product?

2. alex1913 macrumors member

alex1913

Do your research

See what models it covers and if you want to be safe buy it from Apple but remember you have a 1 year to buy it.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They're the same; the Amazon one is just an old P/N. There is a possibility that because the part is old, the code in the box will not be able to be registered with your new computer (since the database for the older code may not have your current computer listed).

Of course because this is Amazon we're talking about (AKA big reputable retailer), if you take your box to Apple (or call them about it), they will be able to issue you an updated code at no charge.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...one more thing, make sure it IS Amazon and not one of their re-sellors on the Amazon site... if it is Amazon, usually you will be ok with it = no scams like ebay...

5. Knoxville3G macrumors member

Bought my AppleCare for my mid-09 uMBP from Amazon and had ZERO problems whatsoever and saved $$$$. Just make sure it says "Ships from Amazon.com", and you'll be set! Good luck.

6. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I bought my AppleCare from an eBay seller and had no problems. The code was real and the seller even sent me the box. So no, buying AppleCare on eBay does not equal getting scammed. However, this was a year ago, and I don't know how the situation regarding eBay is now.