Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevin83165

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Illinois
Ok, I need Applecare for my macbook Pro. I see it on Ebay for considerably less, $210 verses $350 at Apple! This is a significant savings. What's the catch? Has anyone bought their AppleCare from Ebay? Were you ripped off?

How is it these people on Ebay can get it and sell it so cheaply?

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Ok, I need Applecare for my macbook Pro. I see it on Ebay for considerably less, $210 verses $350 at Apple! This is a significant savings. What's the catch? Has anyone bought their AppleCare from Ebay? Were you ripped off?

How is it these people on Ebay can get it and sell it so cheaply?

I bought mine there. Had no problems with it. You can also request the seller to just email you the code and pay nothing for shipping. As what I did

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Ok heres something to consider ...

when I had an iBook G3, I got a great deal on applecare off of ebay. It worked perfectly whenever I needed anything done. Two years later I wanted to sell the machine and I was not allowed to transfer the warranty. They wanted an official sales receipt. I faxed in the ebay completed auction as it was a contract of sale in my opinion, they did not accept this. I found it ironic that they were willing to service this machine for two years with all their expensive parts and labor but not to transfer it.

I had to make about 15 phone calls to eventually work something out, but they were not happy and I wasted tons of time. If you want to sell the machine before the period is over, I strongly suggest sucking it up and paying retail. I have always just paid retail since for this reason, it was not worth the headache and at one point the buyer was going to send the machine back and request a paypal refund.

So just consider that, they may have changed since this was over 4 years ago and ebay is even more common now, but I really doubt they want to see a receipt that says you paid that much under retail.

BenHoleton

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
I had no problem transferring the warranty after buying Applecare off of eBay. Don't knwo why you did. Just called them up and said I needed to transfer to a new owner.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Basically when it comes down to it, i fyou ever need to show Apple a receipt that you purchased the AppleCare you are SOL. This can even happen during registration. Sometimes you may need to fax them a receipt. If you do not have a receipt that shows you purchased it from a Authorized Reseller then they do not have to do anything. How these guys do it on ebay is a little of this and a little of that. Unfortunately most are not honest. With the job I have I know the exact costs for resellers to purchase this box from APple and these guys are selling under that. Sooo ... Now dont get me wrong some are honest but you have to watch. If you are going to buy on e bay then ask them if they are an authorized reseller and ask them to supply you with a purchase receipt and you are golden.

Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.