applecare gave me a extra year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wannabegenius, Apr 6, 2011.

1. wannabegenius macrumors newbie

Hey all

Got my mac pro 13 inch in 2010 and got applecare this year 2011 ( within the one year of std warranty). The only issues is i guess is that they gave me a extra year of coverage? it expires in 2014 and not 2013 lol....

i have my certificate and all saying it expires in 2014. Now is there a way the genius bar can find out when i actually got my mac pro? Both apple care and macbook pro were purchase at a apple retail store.

Any idea on how they managed to give me a extra year?

also i bought a magic mouse and keyboard the same day w the macbook pro..is that covered too under apple care?

how does apple even know when to end the applecare. The guy never even asked for proof of purchase for my macpro so how could apple know when i even bought it? Does it go by serial no? A bit confused here....

2. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

They have your serial number and date of purchase recorded in their retail stocking system, if you bought the mac from a third-party seller they might be using the date they shipped the unit to the seller, while Apple Store purchase dates are more likely to be accurate.

The terms of Applecare says if you bought those peripherals WITH your mac (like, printed on the same invoice), then they are covered. If you bought them separately they might be not.

3. wannabegenius thread starter macrumors newbie

then how come i got a extra year of coverage?

4. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

5. wannabegenius thread starter macrumors newbie

could be never thought of that...i called applecare twice to confirm that the expiration was 2014 and they said it was....

and then he said i would get a email w the details if the plan after it was "processed". I got that email and it says 2014...

just wondering what happened...

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you have the documentation, I say just go with it. But with that said, you know when your AppleCare is suppose to expire (2013, 3 years of original purchase date). So if any warranty work needs to be done BEFORE the proper end date, do it. Of course if something happens after, you have documentation saying it expires in 2014. At the end, Apple might just give you the benefit but the worse thing to do in this situation is assume one thing knowing that it isn't 100 percent accurate.

So my advice to you is take the "4" years but treat your computer like you only have three.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

I definitely wouldn't complain :p

8. SmoothJ macrumors member

I had the same thing happen to me when I bought a new car. However this was not a warranty but a subscription to SiriusXM. It was promo -free for 6 months, but when I received the welcome letter, it was for 3 years. I didn't complain about and if they say anything, and I have the paper to prove otherwise.

9. wannabegenius thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks all for the input! i did get the certificate email saying my apple care does expire in 2014...i just want to know that if there is someway they can tell when the computer was first turned on? Does the Bios know that? (NOT SURE if macs have bios or if its called something else since this is my first mac!)

could the technician look at the bios and know that it was first turned on 2010?
    lol

My plan is that if i send it in later on i would have Lion installed on it by then and so then any date modified items and such would be 2011 or later anyway?

I geuss my question is is there any software diag that can tell apple that hey it was first used in 2010?

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Has nothing to do with the date the computer was first switched on. It's all based on sales records. The date you bought it is the date it begins. If they make a mistake and honor it in your favor, great. If they decide to require proof of purchase and end your coverage 3 years from the date of purchase, then you'll have to live with that, because in the end, that's all you paid for, and all they offer. Don't go trying to screw the system just because they may have slipped up in your favor this time.

jW

11. wannabegenius thread starter macrumors newbie

right like no major corp hasnt tried to screw the customer in some way....

so back to my question. Is the answer to it no?

12. Matrinix macrumors newbie

The date they go off of is the date it was sold. Whenever an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Reseller sells a MacBook Pro, they send in the serial number to Apple saying it was bought/shipped on a certain date. Your 3 years then go from that. If they accidently said 4 years, then maybe you will get 4 years, but ultimately, the AppleCare states it only extends the warranty to up to 3 years from the date of purchase so they have the right to revoke it past the 3 years of coverage.

Also, to your logic of "right like no major corp hasnt tried to screw the customer in some way....", you can also look at it as "right like no customer tried to screw the major corps in some way....". It works both ways, if the customers screw the company, the company in return screws the customers. Has Apple tried to screw you? If not, why are you trying to screw them?

13. wannabegenius thread starter macrumors newbie

i bought applecare...clearly im not one to try and get them to fix my computer if something goes wrong with it after the one year std warranty had i not purchased it. There are poeple however who will do just that. If i get a extra year boo hoo for me i already spent the money on the machine and other stuff. If something does go wrong in the fourth year, id like to know before hand about the bios thing so i can anticipate paying for it out of my pocket, in case they say that its not actually covered.

No apple hasn't done anything so far to make me wanna "Screw" them. Like me as individual can really "screw" them anyway. So the question is, does the bios keep track of when the computer was first booted? Forget i asked about anything else regarding the date of purchase and such. Just one question, does the bios hardware note when the computer was first turned on?

14. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    exactly

if say after 3 yrs you did have a fault, and then raised the issue with apple that u're extended warranty was accidentally till 2014 not 2013, they would be in their right to not honur this date, as the terms state the warranty was 3yrs not 4

you could challenge this legally, but would you want to go thro' all that? Also apple, is very good with things like this and most likely just accept they made an honest mistake - but it is up to applecare's discretion if the warranty would be upheld for 4yrs not the 3.. i wouldn't stress to much about it, frankly

like mentioned above, treat the warranty as if it was 3 yrs, and if they do honour the additional bonus - well hey presto u grabbed a bargain
    im sure apple wouldnt sweat it r this, neither should you