Applecare+ Great Experience While Traveling Abroad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tibits, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Tibits macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2011
    I had a great Customer Service experience with Applecare+ on my iPhone 6S (Verizon) last week. While in Barcelona I had my phone in one pocket and my room key in the other. I tossed my phone on a table and went for a swim. When I got out of the pool 30 min later I saw my room key where I (thought) the phone was. Sure enough my phone had been on the full swim with me. No change of drying that bad boy out and I was panicked about the thought of the next 5 days unplugged while negotiating a foreign city (though it probably would have had it's unanticipated benefits).

Fortunately there was an Apple store a few blocks from my hotel on Passeig de Gracia. I walked in there at 7p with no appointment and limited Spanish language skills. I told the greeter my issue and the further catch that I had to be somewhere by 8p. They got me with an advisor immediately and my phone was replaced and I was on my way out the door by 7:30p. It would have been even sooner, but the SIM took a bit longer than usual to activate. I had basic functionality that evening and after hooking up to wifi at my hotel the phone was fully restored from a backup by the morning. There were no functionality issues abroad or since returning to the US.

The cherry on top? My advisor explained that wither they don't have Applecare+ in Spain or it is different in their system. The end result was that I was e-mailed a receipt that reflected REPAR TARIFA PLANA IPHONE 6/6S, RETAIL - Cantidad Pendiente € 0,00. There was no charge for the Applecare+ replacement! I guess Spain is the place to swim with your phone if you must.
  2. Paco II macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2009
  3. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Nov 6, 2012
    That's cool! I wonder if you have even been "charged" one of your two AC+ replacements.
  4. HEK Suspended

Sep 24, 2013
    Try that one with a competitor's phone. This is the kind of customer service that keeps me coming back to Apple every year, for every device. I always get AppleCare+ for every iPhone and iPad. Never had to use it, but when company supports it's users like this, I support the company. I would send an email to Tim Cook thanking the Spanish Apple Store and Apple for the super customer service.
  5. Tibits thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2011
    Replacement model is A1688, same as the one I drowned.

They were able to see my phone's history in the system and therefore I believe it did utilize one of my two full replacements. They just were not able to charge me for some reason. No complaints on my end.

Yes, sending a note to Apple is a good idea. One thing is for sure, they have an Applecare+ customer for life.