Applecare??? Harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 55orangeave, Jan 29, 2009.

1. 55orangeave macrumors member

55orangeave

Buying a new macbook. I want to swap the harddrive out from the 160gb 5400 rpm to the 250gb 7200rpm(link below).

Does that void a warranty? Do I have to get it approved buy apple? Will they install it for me at Apple store? Lots of questions and no answers. Please help

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136279

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It wont void the warranty

The new hard drive wont be covered by your warranty however

It does not have to be approved by Apple, you can use any compatible hard drive

They will fit it for you at an Apple store, book a space with a Genius

3. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

Thanks for the info. In the off chance that the HD explodes for some weird reason damaging the other components. What then, where do I stand with Applecare then.

Also, I know how to install myself, i don't have to bring it to Genius Bar do I?

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You can install it yourself, its designed to be changed by the user at home. Its really easy so im sure you wont have any problems. (remember to use magnetic screwdriver or have one nearby)

If it damages other components, (which is basically impossible unless you ram it in so hard you crack the motherboard), your warranty will cover any damage to the machine, but wont replace the hard drive.

5. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

Your help is greatly appreciated. Is there any online supported documentation you know of?

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

7. bizzle macrumors 6502a

1. Correct
    2. Correct
    3. Correct
    4. WRONG.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

4 is correct, they will fit it at an Apple store, i used to be a Genius (pretty ditzy now though :p). They wont fit other companies RAM, but hard drives they usually do. You have to book an appointment by phone or online though, dont just walk in the store and expect them to do it.

9. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Not in the US.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

That sucks big time hahaha, feel sorry for you now. I'm sure even in the US if you got your wife/fiancee/gf/female friend to go in though and bat her eye lids and pout and complain she needs it slotting in they'll certainly help her out fitting it before any other customer.

11. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

In Canada they will. I was at the Apple store tonight. They said everything is good to go. And they could do it if I needed them to. I don't . But happy for all the help form the responders.

Thank to all
    Cheers

12. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

It's super easy replacing the HD, the hardest part will probably be finding a #8 torx driver bit.