AppleCare heavily overpriced in Europe?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hhaeschen, Jan 1, 2008.

1. hhaeschen macrumors regular

Hi,

I've just compared the AppleCare Protection Plan prices for a Macbook in the Apple Online Stores of the US and Germany.

US: $249
    Germany: €319 = $465 (= 1.9 x $249)
    (FYI: Lowest offer I found on eBay Germany was about €180 = $263 > $249)

Now, I am aware that the recent development of the exchange rates plays bit of a role in this. However, I still have the feeling that AppleCare is heavily overpriced over here. Does it still make sense to purchase the protection for my Macbook? Ist it possible that a friend in the US buys it for me and sends it to me, ist that possible?

I appreciate your thoughts, thx!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well in the UK its £199, which is $400. I think its because of local support means the price doesn't vary much with the exchange rates. But as they offer international support it should be OK to get AppleCare from the US.

3. MST macrumors 6502

MST

Let's be honest; EVERYTHING in Europe is overpriced, especially when compared to the US, and the UK is certainly no exception.

4. Gaz545 macrumors newbie

Gaz545

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you buy it from the US, you still get the same thing. I would just look on the American ebay site and see if they will ship abroad. If you know someone on this side of the pond, you could have them pick it up for you and send it over, as well.

"The plan also provides global repair coverage, which can be very important if you travel abroad. Apple-authorized technicians perform repairs using genuine Apple parts."

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?spart=MA519LL/A

6. hhaeschen thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, I think that's what I will do!

Thanks to all of you!

7. Worfies macrumors newbie

Buy a Mac in the US rather than in Germany?

I'm moving to Germany. Should I buy a new Mac in the U.S....even tho it will cost a lot to ship and is delicate (I need a big screen)...or should I buy it in Germany...even with the 1:1.5 exchange rate? All thoughts welcome! Thanks.

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You also have to take the difference in wages into account. I very much doubt people in Europe would settle for lower wages to get cheaper services.

9. Eldir macrumors newbie

Buy there

I think it is best to buy in th US, it is cheaper by far, even if you have it transported to Europe.

10. Worfies macrumors newbie

11. herefornow macrumors newbie

12. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Yeah, you're right but....

Although, if you buy it from an actual shop they will mark the item at exact US price and will not mark as a gift. Which means you might be liable for added VAT, duty and the 'clearing fee' they add on them for adding the costs. Ugh.

On the other hand you could buy from eBay and get them to mark as a gift, which means anything £36 or under is duty and VAT etc free because it's a 'gift' but anything over is still liable for the Duty, Vat and clearing fee. You could mark it under that value but if it gets lost in the post then you will be out of pocket.

13. macdave121 macrumors newbie

absolutely agree with the pricing here in europe. i bought applecare from ebay from a us seller for €48 sent via email. saving €152. great deal. havnt see it that cheap since on ebay.

make sure your buying from somebody with a great rating and has previously sold apple products.

these guys seem to have good pricing too but you'd need to make sure that they'll email the activation code

www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/index.cgi?command=listitems&type=group&group=appcare

14. je1ani macrumors 6502

you pay higher taxes than us therefore you have higher prices on US products. You also in return get better education than us and have less stupid people walking around in your country so stop complaining! :D

15. macdave121 macrumors newbie

yes even factoring in the tax called V.A.T here in europe it still doesnt add up. for example the VAT rate in Ireland is 21%, one of the highest in europe.

16. G4DP macrumors 65816

But money goes a lot further in the US. Wages have nothing to do with it. Everything should balance out due to purchasing power parity, but it doesn't.

All boring economic stuff.