Applecare help please

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by deepakvrao, Apr 22, 2018.

1. deepakvrao macrumors 6502

Live in India, and bought a 2017 MB 12 from the US. Just 10 days or so old so wanted to buy the AppleCare +.

Previous 3 laptops, I just bought it in India, but now, I see that you get Applecare+ in the US at a lower cost than plain AppleCare in India.

Couple of questions:

1. I presume coverage is worldwide?
    2. Any idea where I can buy it online from a US based website?
    3. When I go to the Apple US website, it asks country, and when I enter India, it redirects me to the Indian site./ Can I just enter USA and buy it?
    4. Any option which is cheaper than the official Apple website?

2. deepakvrao thread starter macrumors 6502

Spoke to Apple USA, and they showed me how to buy it from the US site.

Had to put a fake US Pin Code, but the payment went thru.

India does not sell Applecare+, but they honour it if bought in the US. Strange.

3. Mike Boreham, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018

Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Yes, VERY strange, especially being helped to put in a fake PIN. I would expect your experience to open the floodgates of Apple laptop owners the world over, outside US, who want accidental cover including for less than they are paying in their own countries for basic Applecare!

A discussion here.

4. deepakvrao thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, they did not ask me to put in a fake pin code. I did that on my own. Also, the cost is absolutely the same in India and the US 250 + tax. Just that + is not available in India.

I bought my MB in the US, the warranty is global, and I travel there frequently, so I don't see why I should not get the + benefit.

The fake pin thing is something I use in many sites, which show dropdown of only the US states, and accept only a 5 digit pin. My Indian pin is 6 digit. So, I enter any state with a real 5 digit pin. Most of the time, my billing goes thru. Lax security I guess. In India, we always, always, have a 2 factor verification and get a one time PW to our shine, for every single online purchase.