AppleCare Help!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by davidg4781, Sep 14, 2007.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

So, I've been considering the purchase of AppleCare for my CD MacBook. I bought it at CompUSA and purchased the extended warranty from them, but it seems that AppleCare is a better deal. eBay has them for around $150 right now. Here's the problem....

I checked my warranty date on Apple, and it has my date of purchase as September 17, 2006, which is correct.

Is it too late for me to purchase AppleCare? Should I even bother? I've heard of people not purchasing it and being fine, then I've heard of people grateful that they spent the money on it.

If I do buy it on eBay, and it gets here after the 17th (which it most likely will), will they still let me add it on or do I just list it back on there?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

You have to register it before the end on Sept 17 after that it's too late

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmmm....to register, do I need the actual product, or is it just a key?

I'm thinking if I email the guy selling, he may be able to send me the key after I make the purchase, and ship the product later. Would this work?

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

If you are doing the ebay thing. Yes you need him to email you the key so you can register it before Sept 17

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for your help. I emailed a few that are selling. The only one that responded said she was selling only the codes in a separate auction. Will I still be able to download TechTool Deluxe? Is there any loss in purchasing just the code as opposed to the retail package?

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well in my experience I did the same think you are doing, but the seller sent me the box anyway. I never really used TechTool so I don't know what benefits it has.

7. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, it looks like I can download TechTool Deluxe. I guess I'll just buy the code. I may email her again and ask if she can open the retail box to give me the code. I'm the kind of person that likes to have the actual box, rather than just some code. I guess I just can't let go of the old days of computers, where you went and bought software rather than downloading and paying for them online.

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well tell her to open up the box and email you the code. Then ship the box to you since you want to CD. Just make sure they have a good standing with eBay

9. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

AHHHH!!!! I sent her a message on eBay and PayPal when I paid saying I NEED that code.

Then she wastes her one time she gets online today to ask if I need it:mad:.

I think this will teach me to procrastinate! I'm going to be MAD if she goofs this up.

Sorry for wasting a post on this, just needed to vent:mad:.

10. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Do y'all think Apple will care if I purchased it before the 17th, even though it was purchased from eBay?

How are they so cheap on there anyway? I saved $100 doing it like that. Well, I'm also going crazy waiting for her to send me the code. Maybe it wasn't worth it. I guess I can always turn around and sell it back on eBay, or here (if that's possible). I'll just have to hold my breath every time my MacBook does anything funny for the next 2 years :(.

11. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

Well.. Theres still time. Or you could sprint to an applestore and buy a boxed version...

12. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple Store's 2.5 hours away, and I just dropped $170 on this one. I guess if it doesn't work, I can always sell it. The extra $170 would be nice.

13. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Ah, the joys of e-bay.

Sometimes something is too good to be true.

I do hope this works out for you. But, it may not.

The problem, is that many people (myself included), would not purchase just a code without some form of guarantee.

One option would have been to pay with PayPal and choose the option to buy the satisfaction guarantee that provides a refund. But, I believe even that only applies to physical merchandise.

But, with PayPal, you can still get a refund for shipments that never arrive. But, even that may still require it to be a physical product.

Purchasing keycodes is such a gamble. Without a package to back it up, I would question how they came to posses the keycode and if it were legitimate.

As for time constraints. You are required to register the keycode before the last day of your warranty.

But, I have been in a similar situation with my wife's iBook G4.

I waited until about 10 days before the warranty expired to order AppleCare for it (we kept putting off the expense). But, I ordered directly from Apple. I explained the nearing deadline to the salesperson at Apple, and he assured me that he'd place a note in our file to assure that we could register it if the shipment arrived a day late (it was scheduled to arrive very, very close to the deadline).

The package arrived the day before the warranty expired, and I registered it right away. All went well.

The thing is, in your situation, you'll be relying on Apple's graciousness to activate Applecare beyond your standard warranty period.

There have been cases of people getting Applecare activated one or two days after the warranty expired. But, it is something that is handled on a case by case basis.

If you want assurance that it will work, then you need to do it before the first year is up.

In your case, I would go ahead and try to register it immediately after you get the code (hopefully a legitimate code). And, if it doesn't work, then you'll have to call Apple.

It's a bit of a concerning situation you're in now. You've got money invested in something without a physical presence.

If you had ordered a retail boxed version, then you would have had good odds on getting your money out of it. In that case, I'd have done the following:

Once the retail AppleCare arrived in it's SEALED box, I would call Apple. I would explain the situation, and my concern of the deadline being passed. Then, I would tell them that the box is still sealed. And, that only if they assure you that you can still register it, that you would open it and register it on the telephone with them.

If they agree, then open the box and register. If they disagree, then sell the package to someone else.

But, in your case, all you've got is a keycode, and the hopes that you'll receive it.

It's an unfortunate spot.

In your same situation, I probably would have purchased directly from Apple with their assurance that they would let you register it if the package arrived after your deadline. Or, I'd have driven to the nearest store and purchased in person to avoid the questionable delay that adds uncertainty.

In your situation, a 2.5 hour drive would have been a worthy investment. Where I am, that's just a trip to a well stocked store with good prices (or commuting to work to get more than minimum wage). And, our people do it on snow and glazed ice for 9 months of the year.

I'd have invested the travel time to remove the uncertainty and risk. But, if not up to the drive, I would have just called Apple and worked-out a deal with them to purchase it with assurances (like I did for my wife's system).

I do hope that you receive your keycode quickly and that it does work for you. Best wishes there.

14. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, she has sold a lot of these, according to her feedback, and only had 2 negative ones from a while back. Usually these come from the Post Office messing things up and buyers not being calm about the situation.

I did order the retail box, but asked if she can open it and send me the code. She said she had others to sell that are just the code, but if I wanted the retail box, she'll open it, send me the message, and then send out the box. I've been in contact with her for a few days (I think?) and it seems like she actually has a life and doesn't sit in front of her computer waiting for someone to email her. Hopefully she'll get my email tomorrow and email me. If not, well, I could get PayPal to refund my money or something, or just sell it, if I get it later one.

I'm usually not one to buy extended warranties, but, for $100 off and on something as fragile as a portable computer, I didn't want to pass it up.

15. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yes, I know what you mean. I actually never worried about extended warranties on my computers until my last two duds from Apple.

Prior to the iMacs, I had never had a single problem with any computer ever (and I've owned probably somewhere between 1000 to 2000 computers - was hardcore into computers for much of my life starting back before IBM decided to get into PC's).

But, I sold off all my old computers to clear out the house. That included many PC's, Many Apples, Many Commodores, and several others that most people have never heard of.

In all my years, I had never had a single computer fail on me. And, with the number of them I've owned, that's pretty good.

But, then I purchased the iMac about 2 years ago, and man I couldn't believe how well I got to know the local service tech. It was a new experience for me since I had never taken a computer to a service center for a failure.

And, I was in there within a day or two of getting it back every time. Always different problems. But, constantly problematic. Before I gave-up on it and sold it, I had had almost the entire computer replaced piece by piece.

I gave up, got rid of it, and got another PC to hold me over for a while.

Well, about a year later, I figure Apple must have gotten the issues worked out by now. So, I purchased another one. Well, it was in the shop within an hour of taking it out of the box. And, then it was in the shop almost weekly for other issues after getting it back.

I finally sold it, and just went back to using my PC (the one I purchased after the last Mac).

I also got a second-hand Mac Mini to use for things I needed OS X for. So, I just went back and forth between the Mini and the PC.

Before my experiences with those two iMacs, I would not have worried about AppleCare either. But, ever since then, I've been very sure to get it before I can't (such as on my wife's iBook G4 which we also got second-hand).

I finally purchased another new Apple computer (been waiting for something solid and proven). So, I got a Mac Pro last month. So far I'm very pleased with it. It's my first NEW Apple computer since the iMac issues. I had been very skittish of buying a new Apple since those machines.

I'll probably get AppleCare before the year is up though. But, so far the Mac Pro has already outlived either of the last two iMacs I purchased.

I hope all works out fine for you.

I do remember a brief scare with my old iBook G3 366. Apple had called me before the warranty expired to offer me the AppleCare package. But, the machine had been very solid and reliable. So, I passed on it.

a couple weeks go by, and the morning that the warranty expires arrived.

I startup the computer the next morning to discover that it won't connect to the Internet anymore. The modem seemed to have died. Nothing would make it dial out.

Well, I thought great. The warranty expired yesterday. Now, I got a broken computer, and no warranty. Should've gotten the AppleCare I guess.

But, after some messing around, it started working again (I think I reset the PRAM or something simple like that).

The machine never gave me any trouble again, so I was relieved. I finally sold it about 3 or 4 years later. It was a great machine.

But, the day after your warranty expires can be a very stressful day. It gets much easier each day after that though :cool: