applecare iMac deal in the uk

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dublove, Dec 5, 2013.

1. dublove macrumors newbie

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Thanks I've just bought one also, bought a new iMac a few weeks ago and wasn't sure if it was worth it at normal price but at half price good for peace of mind and lack of hassle should anything go wrong.

3. super spud macrumors member

Defo. I just ordered my imac. I got 3 years free hardware cover free. They lady managed to sell me 2 years additional software and phone support for £45 what does it actually cover you for? I was a little skeptical but given the hassle ive had with my laptop its small change.

4. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Good find - thanks for that. With the current interest free deal, this is perfect timing. Just need to buy the computer now.

5. Sturgeon boy macrumors member

Sturgeon boy

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Just to say mine arrived today and have just registered and got the confirmation from Apple.

7. Sturgeon boy macrumors member

Sturgeon boy

is it better to wait until your 1 years manufacturers warranty is nearly up before registering it or does it start from 1 year after your original purchase date ?

8. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Purchase date.

9. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Be careful out there guys.

I have read threads here on MacRumors that this is sometimes a scam. I'm not completely clear on it but I think it works like this:

The original purchaser buys AppleCare at full price then re-sells it to someone on eBay then "returns" it back to Apple. The re-seller makes money and the bidder is out his money.

Personally, I'd only buy AppleCare from Apple.

10. Tumbleweed666, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I see you aren't in the UK Richard? It's sold by Argos, a well known high street British retailer. There is no scam.
    Unless you think I signed up here several years ago to act as a sleeper before being activated for this scam? ! :eek:
    Add to that, there is also no way it can be returned by the supposed original buyer (who presumably bought dozens and then sold them to Argos?) , it's a physical thing you receive.

11. Bear macrumors G3

As was said, it's from the purchase date. You may as well buy it so you can get the phone support after 90 days if you need it.

Also, one of the issues of waiting too long is if you buy it from ebay and there's a problem you may not find out for 45 days which would be a problem if you did this close to the end of the one year warranty.

12. richard13 macrumors 6502a

LOL… that's it.. you're a sleeper agent! :)

No, I'm not from the UK and have no idea what Argos is. Well, at least the Argos that is this reseller.

I don't know the origins of the scam or how it exactly works but there are people who have been had. If you guys aren't, that's great! I'm just giving you a friendly warning and trying to help, not hassle you.

13. Tumbleweed666, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Re Argos in the UK perhaps think Target in the US terms of how well known.

I would certainly say that if you are undecided about getting AppleCare in the UK this is a great deal, it is literally half price.
    i hesitated buying at the time I bought my iMac because partly if you do spend the same amount of money but split over two payments it looks like less :D

But also I wasn't sure it was worth but at £60 that tipped the balance so I'm glad I waited, pure luck I wasn't expecting it to come up on a deal.

No idea how anyone could operate this type of scam because you are literally sent a sealed packet so I dont see how a scammer could send one back? Maybe claim it never arrived? Ok found this thread.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1270596
    The scam seems to revolve around the number being sent electronically. But I take your note of caution.

Ps if it's a scam they have set up a whole fake store http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Argos-Outlet/Laptop-Desktop-Accessories-/_i.html?_fsub=4018561016

And I see its now £10 cheaper !

14. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Very good deal. I already have my iMac covered though.

15. Imaginethe macrumors regular

Thanks, ordered this. £50 is a bargain!

Being Argos and looking at the ratings this I expect is real. I was going to buy my applecare in January, this solves that!

16. jon72ni macrumors newbie

Ordered mine last Friday got it yesterday and it's registered,contacted apple just to be sure and they say it's fully active………..

17. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

having bought this at the extortionate(!) price of £60 last week, I'm still no closer to deciding which iMac to buy. Will make a decision by the weekend.

Arrived the other day though in proper Apple packaging

18. Igantius macrumors 65816

Nice to see you profited by waiting!

Re: The outlet store – it’s been going for a few years now and some other companies, like Tesco, have outlet stores on eBay as well.

I’m not sure if it still is, but it the Argos Outlet on eBay used to be operated by a sister company to Argos, rather than Argos itself.

That said, recently I’ve been noticing that it’s common for retailers to charge different prices on eBay than through its own store (usually it’s more on eBay). Shopto was one and it also sells via Play.com and again prices are different – so I suspect that sometimes prices are pitched at different potential customers.

19. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Always a bit of a gamble on eBay, but I've bought 2 MBA Applecare agreements this way and saved 30-50% on the price from Apple.

Argos or even Amazon are pretty safe bets, and I've just bought my latest MBA one on Amazon for £138 (from a VAT registered supplier too) so a 30% saving :D

20. South Hams macrumors newbie

21. gbi macrumors newbie

Hi all,

thanks for the great tip!

Is this Applecare package compatible with Macbook Air 13"?

Thanks!

22. dublove thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad everyone has benefited from the Argos deal. It is the latest iMac Applecare product code on the packet label.

I can only assume that Argos must have bought loads of these Applecare packages from Apple only to find they didn't resell as many as they thought they would. Stick them on their eBay outlet see if they can shift them and see how it goes. We can see not very, as they dropped the price to £50!

I mean, who really buys an Apple desktop form Argos (or anywhere else) nowadays with the rise of the Apple Stores?

merry xmas all :)

----------

iMac only this one!