Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p:ro

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
I've just ordered a iMac G5 on AppleStoreSwitzerland Poseidon for about 1700$ including the 3 year warranty. I will use it as backup computer - FrontRow. I need the Powerbook for work, besides the PowerMacs at university. Since it will take a while, until we will have reached the UniversalTime (soon as Intel Powermac are out & software is updated), it's now the last&best time to get a cheap old iMac G5 - think about the benchmarks =.)

AppleCare - do they ?

I want to mention that you should allways consider to get AppleCare - specially if it's as cheap as on the Intel iMac's & iMac G5's - It's a must!

I got a new keyboard for my powerbook G4 about 3 months ago - free because of Apple Care. The thing is, that my university (ETH Zürich Switzerland) has twice a year a special deal with apple for the portables; we get a huge reduction & AppleCare for almost nothing.

But the official AppleCare:

AppleStore US vs. Switzerland: Product AppleCare for Macbook&Powerbook

US Price : 349$ times 1.3 = 450 sFr (swissFrancs)
Swiss Price : 580 sFr divided 1.3 = 450$

What do you guys think of that? minimal 350$ for a longer warranty ? 450$ - Apple knows why...

Cheers...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
p:ro said:
But the official AppleCare:

AppleStore US vs. Switzerland: Product AppleCare for Macbook&Powerbook

US Price : 349$ times 1.3 = 450 sFr (swissFrancs)
Swiss Price : 580 sFr divided 1.3 = 450$

What do you guys think of that? minimal 350$ for a longer warranty ? 450$ - Apple knows why...

Cheers...
I'm thinking it's a combination of a couple of things.

1. The Swiss price probably includes a VAT whereas the US price does not. In the US, we have to add in a State Sales Tax that is dependent on where we live. Sales tax ranges from 0% to ~8 or 9%.

2. Applecare is basically an extended warranty. Apple has to price Applecare based on the expected number of claims and the expect cost of warranty service. I would expect the number of claims (when expressed as a percentage) to be the same in the US as it is in Switzerland. Perhaps the cost of labor in Switzerland is higher than in the US?

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.