AppleCare in another Country

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dingdongbubble, Jun 28, 2007.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Hi

The Macs over ehre in my country cost a lot more than in the USA or Canada. There re no official Apple Stores but just Apple Certified Resellers. Now I was thinking about getting a Mac from Canada and getting AppleCare for it. Would that be a good decision or should I go for some local insurance? I will be buying a desktop most prolly or maybe even a Macbook.

Is AppleCAre applicable in countries where there are no Apple Stores but only Apple Certified REpair Centres?
    Would it be better to go for local insurance?
    What would the differences be between APP and insurance apart from insurance covering accidental damage and not giving phone support.

Thanks

2. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Desktops

OK I found out that ApleCare covers desktops and everything else. So MY question isthat I buy an iMac and AppleCare with it in Canada, and bring it to a country where there are only appleCertified REpair Centres. These are not owned by Apple but by other countries.

Then my iMac screws up big time. I have no local insurance or warranty form a local retail store but only my Canadian AppleCare. So can i take it to the Certified Repair Centre and will they do the rest of the job including repair, parts, labour, shipment to Canada and back etc etc free of charge for me?:eek:

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You might need to be more specific. I live in Australia where there are no solid Apple Stores, only resellers. Apple do have a presence here, but from a basic consumer point of view it's entirely online. We can buy AppleCare for our Macs, but generally Apple will sort out the problems themselves rather than send you to a reseller. If a machine needs to be fixed, they'll send out a box for it and they'll take it away to a place where their own magical fairies with pink wands and lots of fairy dust can fix the Mac. Depending on the country you go to, Apple will probably do the same. If you're in a country which doesn't even have an online Apple presence, then you may be able to negotiate something with a reseller and Apple, although I imagine this would depend entirely on the individual reseller. Remember that if you don't believe in fairies, they'll die! Oh no!

4. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Uae

I live in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Apple does not have an Apple store ehre nor an online presence but only Authorised REsellers and Repair guys. I asked the only authorised Apple group on their forums about this and they said that I will have to pay the 5% tax on parts for import and also any shipping costs.:mad: