AppleCare in Australia?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i.amBill, May 5, 2013.

1. i.amBill macrumors newbie

Hi,

I bought my rMBP in June/July last year, and still have not purchased AppleCare. Recently I read in the news that Apple was extending the warranty for AppleCare in Australia due to the legislation, and now AppleCare lasts for 2 years - has this been enacted?
    If so, buying AppleCare just for the extra year would be redundant?

Thanks

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

3. abc123 macrumors 6502

I hope they lower the price of applecare to make it still attractive because my experience has been that the 3rd year is most useful but for just one year extra it is super expensive at the moment.

I had my iphone replaced by apple under australian consumer law before this announcement and hope that they have made the process smoother. I remember thinking after an eternity on hold to apple and two trips to the apple store that next time I'd rather just buy applecare so replacement would be a walk in/walk out deal, even though I saved myself $99... Though I believe now if you purchase a phone on a 24 month contract in Australia you are covered for that period through your provider.

4. Bear macrumors G3

AppleCare for a Mac is 3 years. It's up to you if paying for that extra year is worth it. Also, it extends phone support out to a full 3 years.

Depending on how useful AppleCare has been for you in the third year, then the price may not be as much of an issue.

For countries that mandate 2 year warranties, the usefulness of AppleCare for an iPhone depends on if it's AppleCare or AppleCare+. With AppleCare+ you do get the accidental damage coverage as well.

5. Robster3 macrumors 68000

6. i.amBill thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess then buying AppleCare in Australia is not worth it - only an extra year and it is really expensive!

7. Robster3 macrumors 68000

good guys online sometimes have it for $388 on sale. Still pricey but if you need it maybe not.