Applecare in Florida

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by D.G., Sep 13, 2007.

1. D.G. macrumors member

Last year when I purchased my MBP, Applecare was "unavailable" Florida due to some technicalities. I recall reading various discussions about it online, and reading the applicable part of the Applecare details on Apple's site. Now that my one year is almost up, I had forgotten about it and was considering purchasing Applecare before my wife reminded me of the issue. That prompted me to look and see if anything had changed...

Now I can't find anything specific about it on the Apple site. The only mention of Florida appears to suggest that Applecare can be purchased in Florida, but I'm concerned I might be overlooking something.

Does anyone here know for certain that it was resolved?

DG

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I had not heard of that before, the only way to get a reliable answer unless someone here from florida has applecare is to call Apple.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, AppleCare is now available in Florida. There's some special language in the AppleCare terms that state that Florida law applies instead of the typical California law, but for all intents and purposes it's the same.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

AppleCare has been available in Florid...ummm, I'd better not do that...for more than 1.5 years. I got mine in February 2006.

It no longer matters where it's a business or consumer device.

5. D.G. thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I notice now that it is mentioned in the guide and the edit saying it was becoming legal was made in April 2006.

What's strange is that last year I definitely read on the Apple site that Florida residents were not eligible (terms and conditions for Apple care? Actually in the blurb on the web store? I'm not sure).

The only time I would have been looking at that was prior to buying my MBP (Oct 2006) or prior to buying my wife's (July 2006). So even if I'd actually looked it up in July it means Apple had inaccurate information at some point...

I'm glad it got sorted out, and I don't mind because I'm still in the window to purchase (I hope my wife doesn't mind, since she's missed out now :rolleyes:).

DG

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here are the current AppleCare terms.

But there is still an old version of the terms on Apple's site that says that it's not available in Florida. Perhaps you somehow came across that one, which is from 2005 and now out-of-date. Not sure if it's linked anywhere on Apple's site, but it does come up pretty high in the rankings in a Google search. Not as high as the current terms, but obviously things could have changed over time.

7. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

You can try calling apple to ask if they can give you some sort of concession for your wife's MBP, due to a problem on their site that confused you

8. D.G. thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, calling would make sense, except I don't have the spare cash to even purchase one Applecare right now-let alone two, I was planning on saving up enough before October. Grah!

Can we move this thread a couple of weeks into the future ;)

DG