Applecare in Florida?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Paulyboy, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Paulyboy macrumors 6502

Doesanybody know what the deal is with Applecare in Florida? I've heard some things that suggest Florida residents must buy it directly from Apple because 3rd parties aren't allowed. I've read their terms and don't see anything about this mentioned. I'd rather buy it from Amazon but some guy in the user reviews says he's a Florida resident and got screwed. He had to return it for a refund and buy directly from Apple.

Florida apparently has strict laws about warranties. Anybody know for sure?

-PN

2. Paulyboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks but I actually did Google. Nevertheless there's this user review from Amazon and it's much more recent than any of the links you provided:

"4.0 out of 5 stars Call Apple first..., March 31, 2010
    By A. Meit (FLA, United States) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)
    Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: AppleCare Protection Plan MC257LL/A - iMac (Personal Computers)
    Amazon is not willing to update the product specs about limitations in the fine print per each state use of the agreement. I had to get a full refund from Apple and buy it directly from them because Fla. wont allow applecare via 3rd party. Be warned. Call Apple first. Shame on Amazon for withholding important info."

I'll probably call Apple anyways but was hoping somebody here would have first-hand experience with this.

-PN

3. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

In some states you can buy AppleCare over the phone even with Apple. In Florida they are required to provided documentation to customers when buying an extended warranty.

4. Paulyboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up calling Apple and the guy I talked to said it was ok although I'm not entirely confident with his answer because he didn't seem to understand what I was talking about at first.

He also didn't understand why I would want to buy AppleCare from Amazon instead of Apple. Because it's like $25 cheaper? :)

-PN

5. dcains macrumors regular

I didn't read all the links referenced above, but FWIW, I'm in Florida and have AppleCare on 3 systems (2 MB, 1 MBP). I purchased 2 of the contracts from www.lacomputercompany.com, and the other from www.amazon.com. I've used all three of them for warranty service, and had no questions from Apple, or any other issues.

6. Paulyboy thread starter macrumors 6502

That's good to know. Thanks.

If the I7 I just ordered ends up looking like a keeper than I'll be buying Applecare for it from Amazon with confidence now. :)

-PN