AppleCare internationally - an US MacBook in Europe?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FieryFurnace, Sep 30, 2009.

1. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Hi,

my 1year base AppleCare is about to expire.
    So I was planning to go to my campus store tomorrow to get the MB AC for $183 to get me covered for another 2 years.
    Now the thing is, I will go to Germany next summer and will stay there for some time (forever???), anyways:

1) Will they "happily" accept my US white MacBook there and treat it like a local or will they look at me weird?

2) And, will they get me US parts, like keyboard, or would they just put a German one in my US MB? :confused:

Thanks,

FieryFurnace

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Apple's warranty on laptops is international, so you shouldn't have any problems at all on that front should repairs be needed.

I'm not sure about the keyboard though.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

They will cover you anywhere in the World. You will likely get a US Keyboard, but you should ask, just to make sure.

Also, you can always call Apple Care to ask these questions when you register.

TEG

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'd have to order the German keyboard top case if you want the alternative layout- they almost never carry non-US layouts in stores. The same is true internationally- stores outside the US don't carry US keyboard layouts.

5. FieryFurnace thread starter macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Thanks for your help guys! :)

I just bought the AppleCare in my campus store.
    Hopefully registration goes well and all.

6. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

If you need to get the keyboard replaced they will certainly replace it with the keyboard that corresponds to you particular notebook - even if you ask them to put a "local" one in.

From my experience it takes anywhere from 48 hours to a week for a certified repair place in Europe to replace the top case for a notebook (waiting for the part to arrive.)