Applecare/ios downgrade/ios8 question for iPad 4

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by California, May 3, 2015.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I'm getting tired of "guessing" if ios 8 will work on my iPad 4, running perfectly fine on 6.1.3, but now I am locked out of apps I want that require 7.0.

I have full Applecare + on the machine and I'm seriously considering talking with Apple about replacing the iPad if it shows diminished utility after I upgrade.

The problem of not being able to downgrade your iOS is enormous. If the iPad is bricked or slowed down, it just is not worth it. I don't appreciate being locked into an ios simply because Apple says "no downgrading". It cannot be a physical impossibility to downgrade if you don't like the performance on a newer operating system.

Again, it CANNOT be a physical impossibility to downgrade your iOS. It has to be feasible; a flash drive is just a flash drive, old iOS's can be stored somewhere; is this just to force us to buy newer products?

2. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Of course it's not a physical impossibility. Apple just needs to digitally sign the older firmware before your device will install it. Good luck convincing them to allow that though, there's usually an open window of a week or two between major OS upgrades (ie, when iOS 7 came out, you could install it, then downgrade to iOS 6 for a while). Once that window closes you're SOL.

So, yeah. It's not impossible for Apple, but you'll never, ever convince them to do anything otherwise, because the way they're doing things now sells more products and shareholders love that sorta thing.

-SC

3. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Yes that ios7 to ios 8 "window" did not apply to me because I bought this new a few months ago and it came with ios6 installed.

Controlling when the software is used seems overly proprietary to me. Imagine if we were forced to use certain software on our computers... This is the same issue and I do not see how it is okay.

4. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

There are reports that certain Apple genuis have access to a downgrade tool that requires Apple credentials etc.. Forget what they called it.. Purple something

This is my biggest problem with iOS too

Edit: Ah, purple restore http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/PurpleRestore

5. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Wow, had no idea about Purple Restore.

Imagine if we could ask Apple to restore our devices to the iOS we want to use after a trial and error period!

I just might ask about this.

6. saudor macrumors 6502

my 4 runs fine on 8.2 for the most part.. except occasional safari crashes when im trying to type in a URL