Applecare iPhone Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wilymon, Sep 14, 2015.

1. wilymon macrumors member

When Apple gives you a new iPhone (because yours isn't working and it's covered by Applecare), do they give you the same phone every time? Can you request a newer phone (like the 6 or 6s) and just pay the difference?

I have a 5s and Touch ID keeps failing. I wanna take it in, but I'm wondering if I should wait until the 6s hits stores.

2. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

You get exactly the same one, down to color and GB... Sorry

3. wilymon thread starter macrumors member

That's what I feared, thanks.

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

If it was the former, then people would "break" their phone just to upgrade or switch colors.

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If you had Apple replace it in the mail, you would get it still wrapped in plastic (the device, not a box). The factory refurbished with original plastic device might get a little more money on eBay than your standard used device, if you wanted to sell it. You could emphasize that it was never used yet.

Now I have seen iPods get updated to newer models if you do say a battery replacement, but that was when the model was like 5-7 years old and their stock was so much higher on the newer device. So if you wait maybe 7 years, who knows? :)

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

ROFLMAO.

Thanks for the morning chuckle. Still laughing.

(can you imagine how many people would take advantage of this "low cost upgrade plan"?

7. wilymon thread starter macrumors member

You're very welcome