Applecare is almost over for my MBP, what next?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blueprint1983, Nov 20, 2010.

1. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

I purchased a Macbook Pro in Spring 2008 and it's Applecare coverage will be over in Spring 2011. Are there any legitimate options left after Applecare has run out? I would prefer to go with a warranty service that MacRumor members can vouch for.

It's for the aluminum Macbook Pro 15" the last version before they went to unibody (Penryn).

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Generally after the 3-year AppleCare expires, that's it as far as extended warranties go.

3. Kauai macrumors 6502a

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

When my warrantee ran out on my Powerbook. Depending on what I need, I would still go to the Apple store and have them check it out, or a local shop that repairs Macs. Choose the one that cheaper.

I don't see much in repairs because a lot of the main components were covered with Apple Care. Now I just have to fix things like the keyboard and replace the battery. Both of which I'm to lazy to do right now.

5. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

Squaretrade costs $199, my MBP Pro was $1,844.00 from the Apple Store without tax, shipping, etc..

Kinda expensive but I have zero experience with Squaretrade, I'm going to do some more research.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The OP can't buy SquareTrade at this point. It's too late:

How long do I have to buy a SquareTrade Care Plan?

7. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, you are right, I just called them and they said that I'm out of luck.

Man, it's like I'm backed into a corner to buy a new laptop.

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Just because you're out of warranty doesn't mean you have to go hunting for a new computer. Wait until yours breaks or can no longer do what you demand of it and then go shopping.

9. calvy macrumors 65816

you can always ebay applecare. That's what I plan to do. Yeah, I've heard the warnings, but I've never had a problem in the past.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't buy it twice. The OP already has AppleCare. Once it expires, you can't buy it again.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My early 2007 MBP 2,2 is way out of warranty, but you'd never know it. It runs great and I take excellent care of it.

Just take good care of yours and it should last you for many years.

12. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've never really had any major problems aside from two replaced batteries but there's a reason why people buy Applecare and you can never be too careful with electronics no matter how rock solid they are. It's too bad that I don't have any insurance related options once it expires.

13. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Like others said though, just because the warranty period is going to be over soon doesn't mean you need to go shopping for a new computer. If you're worried about losing your data if your laptop were to stop functioning, go buy a time capsule instead. If you're just itching to get your hands on some new hardware wait for sandy bridge early next year. Especially seeing as how your current computer is working just fine.

14. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using Time Machine so I've got that covered. I don't need a new laptop but I do want peace of mind with the one in question. Oh well, hopefully it won't die on me.:rolleyes:

15. calvy macrumors 65816

Oh, duh, I missed that little detail. I was thinking they were at the end if their 1 year period.

16. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Applecare is almost over for my MBP, what next?"

Huh?

You just keep using it, as long as you can, or until you sell it.

I'm typing this on a 2004 PowerMac g4/1.25 MDD. Never had AppleCare, and the warranty ran out in 2005. So what?

17. lickitysplit macrumors regular

Since your laptop is at the end of applecare (means its 3 years old) I wouldn't even worry about buying more warrenty. It will probably last you another 1-2 years and at that point its time for new hardware anyways. No need to spend more money on your current unit. If anything a harddrive may go bad, but you can buy a 7200 drive for under 100 these days anyways.

18. Mac Composer macrumors member

FWIW,
    whenever I buy a new computer I always put it on my American Express card. Buying with that card adds an extra year to the warranty at no extra cost. So you get 4 years if you bought Applecare.

I've only had to use this service once. An old Gateway laptop I had. My screen display failed after the manufacturer's warranty. I called Am Ex. They sent me a packaging label, I sent it off and a week later it was returned good as new.

19. molala macrumors 6502a

I've had five Apple laptops since 1999 and usually keep them for several years. If something goes wrong, it usually does in the first 15 months. If your laptop is still solid after 3 years when AppleCare runs out, it's good to go for another 3-5 years. Maybe the hard drive will fail or the battery will conk out, but those parts are replaceable.

Also, your laptop is probably worth less than $1000 now. Why spend hundreds for another 3 year warranty? Might as well put that money in a new machine when your system becomes too slow for you.

20. uMBPi728 macrumors member

Needless worry

I wouldn't fret over the warranty expiration. As long as you don't drop, abuse, keep staples/small metallic objects near the magsafe or spill stuff on it and just continue using your MBP, you'll be good for another 1-2yrs. If parts like the hard drive, RAM, keyboard/trackpad, etc should falter, replace them via iFixit.com and order the parts. Do it yourself or have a computer tech do it. It's pretty easy. If, to you, the value of repair cost out weigh a new laptop, replace the MBP, all things being relative.

I, for one, had a 06 MBP (A1151) which lasted 4.5yrs. It's logic board died and I decided not to fix it and buy a new model. Granted repair cost was quoted at about $700-900, not including labor. (Surely, I would've done the repairs myself.) I got a lot of use out of the 06 and got my 2010 uMBP i7 recently because the value of repair and buying new was palatable for my situation (the relative part). Anyway, honestly, I was pining for a new MBP and I did have the finances for it. I'm happy my lost turned out this way...she's a sweet machine!

Anyhow, there's a lot of good advice here, and you should proceed whichever makes you comfortable.

Mel

21. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I don't know for sure about AMEX, but in most cases where I've seen this (both of my current cards, a Discover and a Visa, offer this service), it only adds an additional year to the manufacturer's warranty, and only up to three years from the original date of purchase total. So it may or may not still cover anything after AppleCare, I know mine wouldn't.

jW

22. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Consider it self-insured. Everything you own doesn't need to have third party insurance.