iPad mini AppleCare+ - Is it worth it for Minis?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thelawnetwork, Sep 8, 2015.

1. thelawnetwork macrumors member

I just bought an Apple iPod Mini 2 Cellular, which on sale "cheap" was still $340 for the 32GB model. Without the cellular they are down to $325 (around 370-425 cellular) and probably dropping now with the iPad Mini 3 out. I had an issue with the cable already (iPad says it's not an "Apple authorized" cable.) I have to shlep into the Apple store to get it replaced. So I was thinking about AppleCare, since they mentioned it on the phone. But after investigation, AppleCare+ seems to be an overpriced option. I'm wondering about your opinions and experiences. Here is my research:

I'm concerned about how difficult it seems to replace the battery, if needed. I just had to deal with another Apple battery issue so I'm wondering about iPad fails. My issue with the cost is that not only is it $100 + tax (almost $110) but there is also a $50 service fee (plus tax around $55.) So this means that you're paying literally half the price of a current new iPad Mini just for something that may never happen. The truth is that Year 3 (right after AppleCare expires) is probably when you can expect battery failure. And if that happens, Apple basically tells you to pay $200 and they send you a refurb (I read somewhere that even though don't perform in store repairs.) So even if you don't want to look for a new device, being out of service is only about $50 more - and you're not paying all that money up front either. So it seems like a no-brainer not to get AppleCare.

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

They replaced my battery in store for free under extended warranty ($80 savings right there) and they can replace the screen in store if the body is not bent. They give you a refurb for everything else or if the phone is really destroyed.

They replaced my lightning cord for free because the casing was cracked (and designed by an idiot).

A good battery will easily last many years. They don't cover battery wear, so if you use the device a lot the warranty won't help.

Essentially, if you are clumsy then you get a refurb up to two times (plus deductible). Or if you want to talk to someone about your device issues then it becomes worth it. If you are careful with your devices and know how to use it then I guess it becomes a peace of mind issue.

3. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

I just used my Apple Care+ on my Mini after I dropped it and cracked the screen. Was glad I had it, it saved me some $$ over the out of warranty replacement one, like you said. I remember debating even buying the coverage since the wifi Minis are so cheap, but I got it anyway.

Overall, its all about your risk tolerance. I have a fully tiled house, and phones/ipads/etc don't tend to survive even short drops, so I buy it, and have been glad I did for several devices. I like to use my iPad mini "naked" and the thinner they get, the harder they get to securely hold it seems like. So I just buy the Apple Care instead of fitting my iPad with a bulky case.

4. thelawnetwork thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I have a case I really like for the mini that seems pretty safe. For high ticket items it may be worth the gamble. Otherwise it seems to be a pricey insurance plan for year 2. Now that I have a kit that I can use to fix the iPad and replace the battery, if I need, I guess it will come down to that and whether I think I'll drop it on my carpeted floor or during the commute. Good points, thanks. One last question - did you guys have to pay the $50 +tax service charge per incident? $100 + tax seems high enough. But the $50 per incident seems way over the top, especially if it's a regular 16GB or 32GB iPad Mini.

5. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The stuff that actually breaks due to a manufacturing defect is free (like my battery not lasting the promised 1000 cycles or whatever it was). The deductible is for the stuff you break (cracked screen, dropped device, water damage).

My laptop had the logic board replaced due to sleep issues and the screen was also replaced due to air bubble in the glass. It was all free (aside from the many trips for diagnosis).

I had a iPad 3 in a shock absorbing case (G-form) that survived a drop onto pavement without a single scratch/dent. The case was a bit ugly though, so it depends on what you prefer. Applecare covers warranty issues. The Plus part is insurance for 2 years and only comes on iOS devices. I guess if you get the high end 128 GB and cellular it becomes a much more obvious choice, but it really depends on what you use it for.

6. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

I paid $49.00 for the cracked screen deductible. So no tax, at least in California. Might be different depending on where you live. I did my replacement via mail, since my nearest Apple store is 45 minutes away and getting down there during the work week is near impossible. They turned it around to me in two days via mail, which was pretty awesome. "Free" shipping both ways (it was covered in the $49 deductible I am sure).

I didn't even have to box up the old one - I just took it to a UPS store and gave them the iPad and my case number and it was taken care of. That is one thing I really like about Apple - great service

7. iceman42 macrumors regular

i never get apple care plus for the iPads i just get a otter box case and stick in on.