Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
If you have a laptop and you move it around a lot (even in the house) it is most definitely a worthwhile investment. If it just sits on your desk then I say it's not. Even though applecare doeesn't cover accidents, it will cover wear and tear - for example i've had several problems with the connection inside my ibook between the connector for the power adaptor and hte power supply. Apple will fix this for free even though the problems come from me holding the laptop on my lap and putting pressure on the connector while it is plugged in.

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
SpeedRacr26 said:
I moved to florida 1 1/2 yrs ago and quickly found out when buying another PB that you can't physically buy AppleCare in an Apple Store or any retailer in Florida, since in Florida you can't sell extended warranties. However, the big loophole is that you can buy it online and it will be honored in the state.

Where I work we get Applecare, but then we also order it. When I was at my local CompUSA the Apple guy was telling me about Applecare, and he said if you DO want to buy a mac at a store in Florida, you can get Applecare if you register it to a buisiness. So, if you're a small buisiness owner, you qualify ;)

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
over the years, between work and home I've had seven new macs.....buying applecare for each of them would have cost a total of somewhere around $1500.

I've never bought applecare......only once has one of those seven computers had a hardware failure in the two additional years that applecare covers. That was a cd burner that died and cost somewhere around $250 +/- to have replaced......so I'm glad I didn't "waste" my money on applecare

as others have said, buying applecare is gambling that you WILL have a major hardware failure in years two and three........and that hasn't been my experience with Apple

but if you feel you tend to be unlucky in life, then buy for "peace of mind" I guess

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.