Applecare: "It's a known problem, nothing we can do" - Do you have the problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iBookfan, Apr 9, 2008.

1. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Hi

When my battery runs out and the macbook should go to sleep mine just shuts down. I called Apple and told them the problem. After trying to reset SMC, reinstalling Leopard, Create a new user-account, they told me that Apple know the problem and will send a update out soon.

Do you have that problem? Should I be satisfied with the answer I got?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I don't anticipate anything staying up--or even in Sleep--if there's no power to it, so it's not a problem to me. I also don't run my system to 0% battery unless it's intentional.

As far as Apple acknowledging it and promising an update to correct it, what else do you expect from them?

3. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Yes you should be satisfied because they said they will send out an update.

4. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Well, maybe my battery was corrupt - so maybe a new battery. But is the updates comes out, I'm happy. But the newest update (realesed today) couldn't be installed on my Macbook :confused:

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you're talking about the EFI Update, I believe that was iMac only, not MacBook. Not to worry.

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

EFI update was for the MB, MBP, MBA and iMac.

7. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

my macbook shuts off when the battery gets low as well and doesn't sleep

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

My SR Macbook also turns off rather than going to sleep at the end of the battery. A friend of mines older macbook goes to sleep first. I hope this does get fixed.

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The EFI update probably fixed it...

My MB seems to run tons better with it...

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You guys might want to install the EFI update and see if that helps. Also i heard replacing the battery helps sometimes

11. mags631 Guest

I had this problem a few weeks ago on my MBP (purchased last July). The battery suddenly went from holding 2 hours to ~45 minutes of charge. And, similar to your problem, the machine would not go to sleep, but suddenly die once the juice ran out. I scheduled a genius appointment. After describing the symptoms, the genius replaced my battery for free (machine is still under warranty) and the problem went away.

12. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

So should I try calling Apple again and make them replace my battery, or just wait for an update? I'm still under warranty and the machine is about 2 weeks old.

13. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

It just ticks me off when they say they'll send an update soon. It's like, what are we supposed to do until then? It kind of makes me feel they're releasing defective products or something. I know nothing is 100% perfect, but it's a chronic problem, they should have addressed it before the release.

14. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

My 12" Power Book (1.5 GHz) used to go into safe sleep once the battery was down to a certain level (usually around 3 minutes or less on the battery meter). Then I installed Leopard. First, the battery life went from 3+ hours to less than an hour, and it no longer safe sleeps, it just dies. It dies hard and with more than 20 minutes (out of that less than an hour) showing on the meter. Every time it dies hard, Time & Date goes back to 1969 and it can't join my network. :mad: And not only that, but DVD Player broke. :mad::mad:

I'm currently looking for my original system disc so I can go back to 10.4.11 - my lappy was the best portable I've ever owned under the previous system. Now, where's that disc...

15. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Well that depends. Is it a software issue or battery (hardware) issue? If it's software, you'll just have to wait. If it's hardware, then it's covered by the warranty.

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have the same problem, and it's really frustrating. My battery will continue to drain substantially despite the MacBook being in sleep mode. Once you wake the MacBook from sleep, you will hear the SuperDrive wake-up then the MacBook dies.

I've put it to sleep with "1 hour remaining" and come back a few hours later only to find it's completely dead.

Apple has already replaced the battery, so I know that's not the issue.

17. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

It is not a software issue, because they said: try this... try this.. and when I have done it all, they said that it was a known problem - but why should I try all the things first if they knew the couldn't fix anything?

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Unless you've enabled your Mac to Deep Sleep (Hibernate) every time it's still using power while in Safe Sleep (Sleep).

It's a small amount of power but it's still using it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=406336

20. mac2mac macrumors member