Applecare late Christmas miracle!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr.Gadget, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

I have a MacBook Pro 17" MA611LL/A that just turned 3 years old (6 weeks out of Applecare warranty) and the logic board/video went out yesterday.
    Faced with either a large repair bill or burrying my beloved MBP in the backyard next to the family pet, I called Applecare in hopes they would help.
    The first rep said the chances were slim as 6 weeks has passed since my Applecare expired, but he would try to talk to someone for me. Lo and behold Orlando (the Rep) was able to help!!!!!!!!!! :D
    They gave me a case number and permission to take my MBP to my local authorized center.

I am SO happy! Thank you Apple!

2. and.sleepless macrumors member

3. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Good story. 6 weeks out of warranty isn't that long, though. Let us know how to repair goes.

Habitus :apple:

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It actually kind of is. Some people have been declined AppleCare/out of warranty repair and they're just a day out of the complementary period. Throw in the fact that the computer is already three years old, Apple was VERY kind to OP.

Good to know that Apple took good care of you.

5. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

One word my friend LUCKY!, glad to hear Apple is gonna give it a go for you. Even at three years that's great to hear keep us informed

6. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

8. moral-hazard macrumors regular

This is (fairly) common from what I've heard. I brought a friends White Macbook in for a dead hard drive, it was a few months out of warranty but they replaced it at the genius bar. I've heard a few similar stories from friends - It's nice that apple will do this, especially considering that if a part fails it could have been going bad weeks or months ago, and finally crap out much later. Side note: if you noticed an electronic device acting weird for a few weeks then it dies just out of warranty, let the company know this - it saved me once on a Sony digital camera.

9. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Thanks guys. Yep! They agreed to fix it. I dropped it off at an authorized repair center last night. They told me it would likely be 4 days.
    If they hadn't agreed to the repair, I had a few options. One was do nothing due to Apple's expected cost ($1300), or send it to mac2maconline for $295, or sell it as-is. I'm not in a position yet to purchase a replacement so I would have seriously missed it and would have had to suffer in a Windows world until I could afford another MBP.
    All I can say is, "Whew!"