Applecare Macbook Pro Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacSingh07, Jun 1, 2011.

1. MacSingh07 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I had a ton of issues with my Macbook Pro (Early 2008).

I gave Apple a call and they said they would replace it with a brand new one. Anyways, I have sent my macbook pro back to them and Fedex has it now.

The lady said the new MacBook Pro would be made/shipped once they received confirmation that Fedex had my old one. Once I dropped it off at Fedex, I received an order number for the new notebook within a few hours.

Just wondering how long I would typically have to wait for it to ship to me and where it is coming from. I hate using a windows while I don't have my mac =/. They are giving me an Anti-glare LCD as my previous Macbook Pro had a Matte display

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. jesterscourt macrumors regular

If you have a FedEx tracking # for the return shipment, your answer should be @ fedex.com/tracking. Probably a couple business days would be my best guess, so probably by early next week.

3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

When i had mine replaced it took about 10 days to get the replacement. They ship from china.

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

You might get lucky and they'll send you a new 2011 mbp. I've heard of stories like this.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

They probably will. The only time where they might not is if they're Apple is right at a transition model/refresh but since it's been a while since the refresh, OP is very likely getting the latest MacBook Pro.

6. clickclickw00t macrumors regular

7. flipshot macrumors 6502a

You're Lucky to have a tracking number, I took my Macboook to the Genius Bar in the Apple Store in the Westfield centre (London) on 19th May and they said they were going to replace it but it could take upto 2 weeks but hopefully only a week. Phoned them last Thursday to check and was told to expect a call within 48 hours to come collect it, then heard nothing for 5 days. Phoned again on Tuesday this week to be told that it was only authorised by a manager last Thursday (a whole week after they were meant to order it in) and will take 2 weeks from then.

Customer relations have been hopeless too, they were already watching the case due to the bodged repair I received from Group 8 (which Applecare had arranged) which left my Macbook in a worse state than it was before it was sent off. Took me 3 days to get hold of the representative dealing with the case, sent a email waited a day and no response, phoned a left a voicemail which stated she would get back to me within 24hrs - nothing, then finally got hold of her on the phone today and she said she would contact the store and get back to me today - its now gone 5pm and no phone call.

Really don't know what to do now? The service has been terrible, been without a working MacBook for over a month now and Apple just don't seem to care.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'd keep calling into AppleCare and speak to customer support and try to get some compensation (which you're very likely to get). I understand if the process takes a while, time frame will vary, but to have almost no information o update on the whole process is unacceptable.

9. MacSingh07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey everybody!

Just saw all your replies. Thanks for all the help.

I've been checking the order status a few times a day. The status is now "Prepared for Shipment". Hopefully I'll get it soon.

Also, I keep checking the repair status on the case ID, but it keeps saying the case ID is not found. Any idea about that?

And does anybody know if its possible to go and do an exchange with the replacement? I was planning on buying an iMac this summer and I was thinking maybe I could return/exchange my new MBP for a giftcard and purchase an iMac and Macbook Air with that. Anybody know if thats possible? If not I'll keep the MPB but still worth a shot.

Thanks!

10. flipshot macrumors 6502a

Tried that but they just say Customer Relations are dealing with it. Tried calling the representative again today after she didn't call back yesterday but got her voicemail, so left another message. Not holding out much hope that she actually calls me back. I can't believe how unprofessional they are, even if she was unable to get hold of the store yesterday she could have at least gave me a quick call to tell me or sent me an email.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

i would be furious. letters, emails, and phonecalls. that's the best you can do. hopefully, with enough vociferous complaining you can reach some kind of satisfactory resolution.

12. skasol macrumors 6502

I just recently got mine replaced as well, it took about 5 business days, I am in california. I had a 2010 i7 2.66 15" MBP go bad on me and after the third repair, I got it exchanged for the 2.0ghz i7 2011 Model. I could've upgraded for $300 more to the 2.2ghz model but I chose not to. good luck and I hope you get yours soon.

P.s

I did have applecare and they took care of it.

13. flipshot macrumors 6502a

I think if you are in the US they look after you better than their European customers. Any complains I have seen online about the Customer Relations team have been with the European team in Ireland, in the US they seem to resolve things quickly.

I have AppleCare too which is why it is so annoying, they made me take it to the store again rather have Customer Relations order a replacement and now they are taking their sweet time about it and not even getting back to me when they say they will.

14. skasol macrumors 6502

I don't deal with the stores. everything over the phone here, I had them fedex me next day air my new one and I sent my old one after I got my new one, I had to provide a credit card just in case I didn't send the old one but everything went well. now the only thing is I am thinking I should've spent the $300 for the 2.2. I am going to call them to see if they can switch it.

15. crypticlineage macrumors regular

I don't see the point of this thread. Why not have a little patience. You are after all getting a brand frigging new mbp as a replacement of a 3 year old machine. I would be willing to wait for a month for that kind of deal.

16. dslrjunky macrumors regular

because unlike you maybe some of us cant afford to have a downtime that long... because getting a working computer is much important than a brand new model computer...

17. flipshot macrumors 6502a

Yeah I would prefer that but in the UK they outsource the Mail and Return service to Group 8 who managed to send back my MacBook in a worse state than when it went in, it was at least functioning before even if it did overheat. They have to make special arrangements for sending out replacement machines and they wouldn't do that until I took it to an Apple store again to be looked at, the Apple store were the ones that decided a replacement should be issued.

The Apple stores in the UK are the only way to get your machine looked at by Apple themselves.

I finally got a call back from the rep in Customer Relations, she had to leave a voicemail as I didn't have my phone with me. They are now saying it is going to take another 6 days and she will be giving me another call next Tuesday. So it will have been 3 weeks since the I took the Macbook to the store and 6 weeks since I have had a functioning MacBook.

18. elVince macrumors newbie

Just wondering how you were able to replace your 2008 laptop when its 2011?

19. saberahul macrumors 68040

As a side note, an iPad is a great device to have for small things like checking statuses and browsing the Fedex sites. Mine is always at hands reach so it is easy to check up on such things and read with ease.

On topic, I have no idea - sorry.

20. Bear macrumors G3

I'd say that was simple. AppleCare is 3 years. If Apple has issues with fixing the machine, they can opt to replace it. SOmetimes it's less expensive for Apple to replace a problem machine instead of fixing it.

21. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Thats why, you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.

22. MacSingh07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Received my Macbook Pro this morning! Hasn't even been a week since I called Apple!

That was really quick!

23. SdPunk macrumors member

Congrats on the new unit. That is the typical top quality service from Apple. :D

24. palpatine macrumors 68040

congrats. still planning on exchanging it?