Applecare made a boo-boo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by one1, Feb 13, 2008.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

So Apple was wonderful enough to replace my "macbook crack" out of wty since it is a known issue and I am truly thankful for that. Nice folks. :)

While it was there they stuck a new bottom case on and some other internal goodies were changed out for whatever reason. My Superdrive always stuck when you put a CD in, but I never mentioned it as it worked fine an it didn't come with the book anyway, it was installed at a later date.

Well it came back looking all spiffy and working excellent. Nice new bottom case and top cover, keyboard, etc... looks like a brand new book. :) No problem, right?

Ehhhhhh. hey guys..... where did my superdrive go? Apparently the tech figured out my superdrive was sticky and decided to replace it also.......... with a combo drive.

Since this book came with a combo drive they simply looked at what the factory specs were and grabbed the proper part number. Well, not so proper part number.

My agent is getting it fixed right now so it is not going to be an issue, but I have to be without my book again :( and I run an e-business so the last 3 days have been heck without it. The next three aren't going to be any better.

I just want to make a little note to persons that have added on parts to their books to make a big huge sticky note and tape it to the laptop if you send it in for Applecare that you have upgraded parts in your book. If not, you might not get them back! :) Thankfully I have a great agent helping me and it will get resolved, albeit a bit more unfortunate downtime.

2. Simon1966 macrumors regular

You run an e-business and only have one computer! :eek:

You need a back-up machine!

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I only need one, it's maxxed out with ram and HD / 2 externals :D I did learn however than I can run half shotty attempt with an iPhone if needed. ;)

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

That was my impression. Thankfully you didn't mention the name because this wouldn't make my customers confident in doing business with me if I only had one machine and no back up.

I mean if you came here to report a bad dealing wth Applecare you just made yourself or should I say your business look bad by even mentioning it.

For the most part you are right. If you have had parts upgraded after the fact, definitely check them if you have your system worked on. That's good advice.

Simon just mentioned the best advice though, if you have an e-business hopefully you have more than one computer to conduct your business.

5. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

I was about to say that lol.

6. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Are your pedestals high enough? Really, maybe adjust them just a tad more so you can sit completely in the clouds. I have no need in discussing my business here nor how many computers I have in the entire system, we are discussing MY computer that I travel with.

Topic: applecare.

7. kyleaa macrumors regular

Who performed this upgrade? Unless it was done by an AASP, it voided your warranty and you should be glad they didn't notice.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I was thinking the same thing.

9. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

You guys really are impossible sometimes.

I told them I had replaced the superdrive and asked if it were a problem, and they said no. If you'd read the OP you'd have read that the book is out of wty and this entire repair was of good graces and not under applecare.

It's like some of you have a giant contest to see who can come up with the best revelation or something...lol, read thoroughly first (at the very least) so you don't end up talking without merit. ;)

So far the responses have been about everything EXCEPT the applecare situation. C'mon I'm a fanboy also, but I don't go looking for blind reasons to ignore the issue by throwing the thread off topic. One day even the most die hard apple fan must realize.... they screw up.

:)

10. johnnyi08 macrumors newbie

maybe its bill gates complaining about apple lol.Bet you Bill has an mac lol

11. Milk*is*tasty macrumors member

Liek, you needz to listen to us, I always carry around a spare MB in my backpocket, you should too!

12. kyleaa macrumors regular

I'm sorry that I glanced over "wty" in the OP and didn't realize it was warranty, but the title of the thread is "Applecare" made a booboo, and you're yelling at us for assuming it was under Applecare.

I'm not exactly sure what you expected people to be posting in here to be on topic. Nobody has debated that a mistake was made, people have only been trying to point out possible reasons why the mistake happened, which is very much relevant to this topic. Now the people laughing at you for not having a spare computer, that is definitely off topic and irrelevant.

13. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Must say i agree with what you're saying! I know plenty of people who run business' on a single computer. If the computer dies for good, then a new one is purchased! Surely there is no point having a backup computer which collects dust 362 days of the year!

Back to your original post states that they replaced the supre drive with a combo drive. I wonder if apple will realise (since you have called it to their attention) and say "it's combo or nothing?" Since it's out of warranty i wonder what they will say?! They may say you have to pay more in order to upgrade back to a super drive. Afterall, i bet your old (slightly dodgy) superdrive is in heaven by now!!

14. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

OH, this paper must not say applecare service across the top.

Attached Files:

15. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Na, Like I say the rep knew ahead of time I had a superdrive. Said person aware of what they did. They're just trying to figure out how to fix it. It'll work out. Just make sure you label any upgrades before sending in. They go by the book serials that state how it was built when they replace parts.

16. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Cool, well glad you're getting it sorted then!! Let us know when you eventually get it back! I hate being without my computer!!

17. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Actually, much better advice is to remove them altogether, especially if they don't fall in the user-upgradeable parts list. If you don't, you run the risk that your warranty be voided and they will return the machine unfixed.

They did you a huge favor and a service guy made an honest mistake. I don't see any issue. Keep in mind, the tech that fixed your machine and the rep that took the call are most likely different people and probably don't even use the same systems.