AppleCare Mystery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soupyjnr, Feb 8, 2008.

1. soupyjnr macrumors 6502

Hey Guys

I bought my MacBook on Friday 31st January on education discount. I gathered that I get 3 years Applecare which didnt include phone support - to get phone support for 3 years I would have to pay £47... which I went ahead and paid

However I just looked up my warranty status on www.apple.com and it said this :

Our records indicate that your product is covered under Apple's Limited Warranty which is estimated to expire on 31 Jan 2009.

Your product is not eligible for complimentary phone support.

However it should say that Apple's Limited Warranty is estimated to expire on 31st Jan 2011 and my product should be eligable for complimentary phone support

I didnt register Applecare because I presumed when you buy the laptop it does it for me automatically. I got an email from them last Friday or Saturday saying that AppleCare had been activated and it didnt expire until 2011...

Anybody got any ideas?

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

it doesn't activate automatically when you purchase it...you have to activate it on your own

if i am reading your post correctly, you purchase applecare and then purchased phone support separate?

3. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well see when you buy a MacBook on higher education discount you get AppleCare free for three years =, but if you want phone support for three years, its £47... which I added to my quote when I was orderin it.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In the UK, Macs purchased through the Higher Education store come with 3 years hardware warranty and 90 days phone support.

This is not in effect if you purchase it through any other channel.

5. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

I purchased it through www.apple.com/uk Higher Education Store

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Call anyway. You always get the firs 90 day. In the US there is only one 3-year warranty with hardware coverage and phone support.

TEG

7. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah - im just worried incase Ive paid £47 and its been messed up... should I call customer service in the mornin and see whats goin on

8. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

couldn't hurt to call and ease your mind a bit

9. Nick012 macrumors regular

you have to activate Applecare? I bought it with my mac through the UK HE store....I should probably activate it if its not auto enroll...how do I check?

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

When you buy Apple Care at the same time as a system from Apple, you are suppossed to be auto-enrolled.

TEG

11. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

not if you buy it in a store; they tell you to make sure to register it

i guess it is different when you purchase online?

12. rhyx macrumors 6502

Online purchases of AppleCare+machine in the same shopping cart are auto-enrolled.

13. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll ring them in the mornin see what the crack is. Thanks for all your help

14. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys

Im just off the phone to AppleCare. They checked my information and told me that everything is ok - thier Online Self Serve isnt working at the minute

Thanks again for all your help