AppleCare on Amazon for 15 in rMBP new

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sully, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

I just purchased a new 15 in rMBP which I bought from Apple as a special order. I'm looking on Amazon and I see that AppleCare is $110 cheaper than it is from Apple. Is there a catch like maybe it doesn't cover the newest rMBP? Is there any reason not to buy AppleCare from Amazon?

Thanks.

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Whats the link, you need to make sure its for the exact model

3. mlsusa macrumors regular

4. Sully, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

Sully thread starter macrumors regular

Sully

Interestingly, the Amazon listing doesn't specify a model number. It simply refers to all 15 in MacBook Pros. And, customer service was absolutely no help.

5. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

If this is for real, its an amazing savings. However, you do have to open it to get the warrant number and I believe that may void the return. Amazon may still work with you though, they are amazing.

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

this is a good deal. Might have to snatch it up. It is the same model # after all. If you need to return it i'm sure amazon would let you.

7. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Applecare is only divided between 13" and under and 15" and higher notebooks. The don't specify retina or regular, etc.

8. Sully thread starter macrumors regular

Sully

Ok thanks. Between your information and the product number being the same in the Apple Store as it is on Amazon, I think I'll take the risk and see if it works. Amazon has had great customer service in the past. I was going to by the computer there too, but I opted for a non standard configuration that Amazon didn't have.

Thanks everyone for commenting.

9. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

This is legit, and Amazon's price is the same as from other authorized retailers like Adorama, B&H Photo, etc.

10. venom600 macrumors 6502a

The only thing you need to watch out for is that if it's an older AppleCare box it may have a serial number or activation code that doesn't work online. I bought an old package from Amazon for $210 and I had to call Apple to have them manually assign it to my account.

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I purchased from the amazon link. It had free one day shipping for Prime. Just registered it and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the heads up!

12. TekGuy macrumors member

I bought my first rMBP 2015 in Dec 14. I saved £100 GBP by buying my AppleCare off eBay to, mine worked to so I do recommend to others, just be sure you buying from legit seller by checking feedback etc, otherwise it's an amazing saving. I also saved £140 on the rMBP itself as a shop near my local Apple store was selling the rMBP £140 cheaper than Apple so Apple store price matched for me :)

13. iregret macrumors 6502

I bought applecare from amazon for my retina macbook pro. It worked perfectly.

14. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

As long as it is sold and shipped by Amazon you should be safe. Honestly though, I purchase my AppleCare from B&H Photo. I know they're Apple Authorized resellers for AppleCare and if I ever run into issues registering AppleCare either B&H or Apple will help.