AppleCare on Amazon

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Tuck, Apr 13, 2011.

1. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Does anyone know if I buy AppleCare on Amazon, will they email me the code? My 1yr warranty on my MacBook Pro runs out tomorrow so I would like to purchase it from somewhere that can get me the code via email instead of having to wait for snail mail.

Thanks!
    Tuck

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You can go into an Apple store to get it or call into Apple. If you are student you can get the discount through Apple. It may be less of a price on Amazon, but if your current expires the extra may be worth it (although you could call Apple and ask them if you purchased today would it matter if you didn't get the code for a few days, as long as you could prove purchase within the covered time frame, and have them annotate your account).

3. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'm curious, after you get this code, what do you do with it? You have to know it everytime you bring a computer to the Apple store to get it fixed? What about the 1 year Apple Care/warranty? I never got a code when purchasing my MBP earlier this month.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You enter it at the Apple Care site and it extends the Apple Care on your machine by getting tied to the S/N of the machine. When you call in or take it in to Apple they look up the S/N and it says when the expiration of Apple Care is, so you don't need the code past the initial registration (except in cases where they may want proof of purchase which is ver rare). Each code is valid for a one time extension of Apple Care on the specified device (iPhone, Mac Mini, MBP, etc) as they are specific for each model as well.

5. The Tuck thread starter macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Thanks for the tip on the student discount! Turns out it is much cheaper as a student on Apple.com vs. the Amazon price. $219 on Amazon and $183 on Apple for a student.

Tuck

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

7. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Too bad Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage or I probably would have gotten it.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Even without accidental-damage coverage, AppleCare is a great deal for laptops. It's the only extended-warranty I've ever purchased or recommended, and I recommend it highly.

9. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

I bought my MBP from Best Buy and purchased their 2 year ADH Service Plan, much better IMO. Covers everything. I could hypothetically at the end of the 2 years, break it on purpose and they would replace it with the newest model, not that I could ever intentionally harm my MBP...

10. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Read that contract carefully as they have the right to repair or replace at their discretion, which means that they normally will try and repair before replacing and the time frames according to the contract can take weeks. I know people that have been without their computer for weeks before anything happened. I had it on a vacuum and I did get a new one 4 weeks after I dropped it off. I had to fight for them to give me the replacement as well, and ir wasn't a new upgraded model as they were able to find one new in the box (their obligation is at least the same if not available then like features). No guarantee of a brand new one right away, and the repairs are done by their techs (they say they are certified) but it doesn't go to depot, but someplace in Atlanta.

11. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Best Buy also doesn't guarantee that genuine Apple parts are used in their repairs. (Or other brands for that matter either).

12. iMackPro macrumors 6502

i don't buy applecare because i don't keep computers 3 years. although ive never had this NICE of a computer either. I might actually break down and buy it for my new baby. probably wait a little longer though this beast broke my wallet and then spit on it.

does AC cover MagSafe?

13. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yes, it does. Power surges, the works. A friend of mine had her power adapter melt inside and fry her power connectors on her logic board. They replaced it all in 2 days. She used an Apple Certified Reseller for the repair, so she saw the billed invoice, and it would have been a $765 repair.

14. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

For what it's worth, I called into my local Apple Store a few months ago to enquire whether Applecare purchased from Amazon was ok as it was around £85 cheaper than in store (For my MBP 15"). The store manager said that it was fine but he price matched there and then, and I walked out with Applecare purchased from Apple at Amazon prices :)

15. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Which is still more than the education price, which is probably why they did it. I they can make money at the education pricing then they can make money on a discounted purchase that is more than the educational pricing. That is why I like Apple the people will lots of times go out of their way to make the customer happy and only ocassionally does one get a manager that is a flat out jerk (usually if they won;t do a bargain they gracefully decline rather than act like you are trying to steal something or rip them off).

16. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

sorry to thread jack a little here. Does anybody know how apple "polices" the education store? I graduated a year and a half ago. Could I just use my school email address to get the education discount on applecare? It's like they're going to call me school and check if I'm still enrolled right?

17. erure macrumors regular

I noticed that they check your driver's license when you purchase something with an education discount. I don't know how it works, but it's something I noticed. I don't think they check anything when you purchase from the online apple store though (not sure because I've never purchased from the online apple store :eek:).

18. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It's subject to random verification from Apple. I saw a thread (forgive me I forget which one) on here a couple weeks ago about someone who got a call to send enrollment verification.