Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEimis97

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2020
Hi guys,

I recently bought an Apple Watch Series 5 Stainless Steel from one of the refurbishing companies and upon inspecting the serial number it shows that AppleCare+ is valid until 8th December 2021. If I ever had to go to apple for hardware support, would I be able to use this given that I don't have receipts of buying the watch, or buying the original agreement under my name. I found a support article which walks through on how to transfer the AppleCare to a new owner, but obviously this is not possible, so I wonder does Apple actually check or they just go by the information on the Serial Number?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If the AppleCare was bought outright, it can be transferred to the new owner. Said transfer must be done by the original agreement holder. If the AppleCare was done using the monthly option, it is not transferable.

iEimis97

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2020
If the AppleCare was bought outright, it can be transferred to the new owner. Said transfer must be done by the original agreement holder. If the AppleCare was done using the monthly option, it is not transferable.

So I read that, but it's not quite what I am after, if the AppleCare is showing upon entering the serial number, at the point of actually needing to use it, does apple ask for the proof of purchase for the Apple Care or they just look at the Serial Number like they normally do for warranty repairs without asking any questions?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So I read that, but it's not quite what I am after, if the AppleCare is showing upon entering the serial number, at the point of actually needing to use it, does apple ask for the proof of purchase for the Apple Care or they just look at the Serial Number like they normally do for warranty repairs without asking any questions?
I would say it depends on the Apple rep and what he or she can see in their rep database. If you should need service, you may not run into any problems. Technically speaking, you shouldn’t be allowed, although I have read instances of Apple still providing coverage.

Reactions: iEimis97

iEimis97

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2020
I would say it depends on the Apple rep and what he or she can see in their rep database. If you should need service, you may not run into any problems. Technically speaking, you shouldn’t be allowed, although I have read instances of Apple still providing coverage.
Thanks! I am reading some posts on reddit and it appears that more often than not they just go by the serial number, I guess it's just good to have in case something goes wrong, potentially getting some coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.