iPhone X AppleCare+ On iPhone X = iPhone XS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FatherOfTwo, Oct 17, 2018.

1. FatherOfTwo macrumors regular

FatherOfTwo

I have AppleCare+ on my iPhone X which runs til November 2019.

If my iPhone was broken would it be replaced with an iPhone XS since ( in theory ) apple don’t make the original iPhone X and so would Apple charge me more than the standard cost of replacement ( £79 )

Thanks, Ian

2. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

You are getting sweaty slippery hands with that thought, aren't you :)

And no, Apple always have years of supply of older models.

3. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

In an extremely unlikely event it is possible, a bit more likely is you'd have the option of paying extra to upgrade to an XS. The X would have to be beyond repair and be completely out of stock at all repair facilities in order for this to happen.

5. SteelHeart macrumors newbie

you are to some extent right, apple wont make any new IPhone X models any more but ideally during a replacement you will get a certified refurbished . These phones are nothing but the ones people hand over to apple during an upgrade

6. seinman macrumors 6502

Apple has years and years worth of refurbished phones in stock of every model they sell. Increasingly they don't even give out refurbs anyway, they fix what's wrong on your actual phone and give it back to you. They also stock years of replacement parts for this purpose.

If you want a XS, you're going to have to buy a XS. Trying to scam one out of Apple via AppleCare+ is something they already thought of and won't let happen.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 601

It would be a wishful thinking but not going to happen at this early stage. They will replace with iPhone X to iPhone X. They still do make the X for replacement units only and Apple Store will have them stocked as replacement unit. I can see that the only time they would do this is if there is a supply constraint on a part and that X is completely out of stock.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If word got out that apple was replacing broken iPhone X phones with Xs, there would be such a run run of "bad luck" from so many iPhone X owners, it would be astounding. No Apple has plenty of refurbs put aside for repairs and replacements. They fully understand the temptation to purposely break a phone to get a newer model.

9. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

10. FatherOfTwo thread starter macrumors regular

FatherOfTwo

I just wondered what the protocol was and yep you are all correct. Not trying to scam Apple, still very happy with my iPhone X but genuinely interested in the process.

You’re right that they will have years of parts / stock for iPhone X.

Thanks everyone!

11. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

You are to some extent wrong. Not all of the white box replacements are hand over phones. There's a certain percentage which are designated as replacements off of the assembly line. The phones that are re-manufactured are just that, anything you touch, the screen, the back, etc is replaced. They also get a new battery installed followed by more extensive testing than a phone off the assembly line. So in short, I'd take an Apple white box without hesitation.