AppleCare on two Macbook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aquaman09, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Aquaman09 macrumors newbie

My Dad just got AppleCare for his Macbook Pro, and I wanted to know if it could be put on two computers. We bought them together but I didn't have the extra $350 to spend on AppleCare.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. Aquaman09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you qualify for a student discount, you can get AppleCare for $239.

5. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

I saved a bunch going with Ebay as well !!!

Code was delivered within the hour...

6. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

...in your opinion. Thousands have a different opinion and have saved a LOT by having AppleCare!

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Also works like this: Lots (of people) have a different opinion and have saved THOUSANDS by having AppleCare!

Case(s) in point: the liquid-cooled G5s. When they failed, the owners got new Mac Pros. Free.

9. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I have a question about buying AppleCare on eBay ... how this can work ? How is it possible that people sell a service cheaper than Apple it self ? Where do they get it ?

Buying a warranty for a Apple product from someone else seems a bit strange to me. What if the "licence number" of the Apple Care is already registered and is valid let's say only for 1 year ?

Thanks for your help,
    Tex

10. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

When you buy Applecare from the Applestore, it's just a package with a serial number on the inside. You need to go to http://www.apple.com/support to go and register it with your name and MBP's serial number, then Apple will give you a confirmation via email or regular mail (whichever you choose) saying that you are covered until a certain date.

I'm guessing that resellers of Applecare must buy the serial numbers in mass so they can sell it at lower prices. I know that my university gets pretty big discounts on it to put it in package deals.

The seller I posted earlier emailed me the serial number about 2 hours after I paid for the item, and it worked like a charm. eBay sellers can either do that, or mail you the package, or whatever you want.

Hope this helps. :)

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If your macbook pro was purchased with a credit card, there is a very good possibility that your cc company offers a free extended warranty. Call them up and find out. I got an additional year beyond the standard 1 year, and it didn't cost me a dime. Worth looking into. :)
    I hate to rehash this topic (because really, it has been hashed too many times on this forum) but from a statistical perspective, Applecare is a waste of money. The chances of ever recovering the cost of your warranty is slim, and we have a tendency to focus on those few times where Applecare was worthwhile and ignore those many many thousands of times when it wasn't.

12. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

There's some truth to that too, because Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage or if the machine is stolen. Might want to look into other plans like Bestbuy's one if you buy one from there.