Applecare Opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glire, Aug 2, 2011.

1. glire macrumors newbie

So, I've had my 2011 15" MPB for a few months now and as such, have put a little wear on it. At one point, I had put my MPB in a backpack to move into another room and accidentally dropped the backpack a little harder than normal onto the floor. This caused a slight impaction on the right side as well as a strange scratch to form right around the same area. No damage was done to the hardware or the computer itself. I opened it up, looked around, and everything was fine.

http://i.imgur.com/FWAMU.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/ZDlww.jpg

I haven't extended my applecare yet and I'm wondering if it's still worthwhile to do so or has this impaction, although only superficial, voided any future claim I may have?

2. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

You're good unless it harmed the internal components

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Get a squaretrade warranty - it's better b/c they cover accidental damage too. It's also "Apple coverage", b/c Squaretrade will just have you take it to the Apple store to get fixed, and then pay the bill.

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'd still go for Apple Care. I think you'd only have a problem if it was an actual dent that could have damaged internal components.

5. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

if your near a store take it in and ask but you look fine

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Mine has a dent/bend in the corner by the screen, it's nothing bad but you can tell it's there. On speperate occasions Apple replaced my hard drive(SMART failed) and logic board(SD slot stopped working, why not get it fixed? Lol). In the notes on the order they put something to the effect of "laptop has been used, dent in upper corner," but they still did both under warranty and I'm pretty happy.

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

if you plan on using the macbook pro (which most people do or should) more then a year than yes applecare is worth it. anything defective occurs apples got ur back.

8. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Why? There isn't a single benefit of Applecare over Squaretrade, but a lot of benefits of going with Squaretrade. With either plan Apple fixes the computer - it's just a matter of who pays, and Squaretrade will pay for a lot more things (e.g. accidental drops or spills)

9. BiggAW macrumors 68020

10. glire thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses! I'm still not sure which route I'll take, whether applecare, something else, or nothing at all, but I'm very happy to hear all the options are still available.

Thanks Again!

11. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

I'd personally go with the Applecare. I just bought my first MBP and got Applecare with it. Hopefully it will be a smart decision!

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Actually, there are benefits of AppleCare. According to Squaretrade's information, they don't cover any accessories, such as power cables or connectors. Applecare does. So if you have a MacBook Pro and your power cable dies, with Applecare you get a replacement for free. With Squaretrade, you have to buy one, which costs $79 at the Apple Store.

AppleCare can be purchased on refurbished Macs. Squaretrade won't let you do that. You can purchase AppleCare anytime during the first year you own your Mac, and it will kick in after the one year warranty ends. Squaretrade states that their warranty starts on the date you purchased the item, so it's running concurrently with the regular Apple warranty. And from what I saw on Squaretrade's website, they pay for accidental damage only if you purchase the Accidental Damage from Handling coverage along with your warranty.

Squaretrade will cover your equipment up to the purchase price. So, if you purchase a $999 MacBook Air, any repairs or replacements that they do over the lifetime of your warranty can only cost up to $999. Anything over that and you're out of luck. They consider the contract fulfilled, even though you haven't actually reached the date it's supposed to end. If your computer can't be repaired and needs to be replaced, or if you've had the same problem repaired 3 times over 12 months (lemon law) and they replace it, that's it for your contract. They specifically say "Upon replacement of a Product, We will have no further obligation to repair or replace the replacement Product and You will not be entitled to make any claims under this Agreement for its repair or replacement." AppleCare doesn't say that, at least not anywhere I can find. I know of several people who have had machines repaired or replaced multiple times, without worrying about the total cost.

Does Squaretrade cover the monitor, keyboard, mouse, Airport Base Station, Time Capsule, etc? I couldn't find info on that on their website. AppleCare covers them, if they're used with your covered equipment and were purchased up to two years before your Mac purchase or during the terms of your contract.

So, no benefits you say? Hmmm...I'll stick with AppleCare ;)

13. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I may have spoken too quickly by saying there are "no" benefits, but considering we're talking about a very expensive laptop that will be carried with you almost everywhere you go, do you really prefer to have coverage over your charger and external keyboard rather than accidental drops and spills. Maybe you're in a different situation, but I find it much more likely that someone will spill a drink on my computer or drop it and break it, and that's worth a lot more than an external accessory.

14. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Squaretrade isn't always cheaper. The cost of their warranty varies by the cost of the computer. So while AppleCare for a $3499 MacPro costs $249, Squaretrade charges $329.99. Even for a 27-inch iMac, AppleCare is actually cheaper. So make sure you look around and don't just assume that Squarespace is cheaper.

I've never had anything spill on my laptop (try not to drink around it). I try to be careful with it, and to me, having coverage for peripherals is rather important. And with as much use as my charger gets, getting it replaced for free has come in handy, and saved me $79.

So let's see...if I buy a Macbook Pro that cost $1499, AppleCare would cost me $249. Squaretrade would cost me $179.99. So if my power adapter dies and I need a replacement, that more than covers the difference in cost right there. Seems worth it to me, especially if I had also purchased an Apple Cinema Display along with it, as that would be covered under AppleCare, as well.

Knowing that Apple will repair or replace my computer no matter how much it costs gives me peace of mind. I don't want to have to keep a running total of how much repairs have cost to see if something will be covered.

15. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

You can't only go by their advertised prices b/c they have 20-30% coupons all the time. I'm also only highly recommending Squaretrade for laptops due to their portability, not iMacs or Mac Pros.

Further, your example of having a charger die does work in Applecare's favor, since it's a perfect example of breaking something that Squaretrade doesn't cover. If you, in hindsight, happen to break 4 chargers, 3 external keyboards, and 2 Time Capsules while never accidentally damaging your laptop...Applecare is by far the clear winner. However, in most cases you're out $79 ($35-40 if you buy it from Amazon).

What happens though if you're drinking your coffee at a table at Starbucks while using your computer, and someone bumps your table knocking the drink onto your open laptop? These boards are full of people though that have a major problem with their laptop costing upwards of $700-$1000, and Apple won't fix it because they found a dent or a scratch in the case, and fault the owner for damaging it. Again, many of these laptops reach upwards of $2,000 and are often carried and used around food, drinks, or slippery surfaces. Even if you're careful, it's all too easy for someone ELSE to damage your computer.

Basically, it comes down to what's worth more to you - coverage for mechanical failure of a $100 peripheral, or for accidental damage to your $2,000 portable computer. In my mind, the choice is clear.

16. MKang25 macrumors regular

As mentioned before Squaretrade only covers up to purchase price. IT is not rare that your laptop may need several repairs over its life, and those repairs especially for the lower end 13"MBP and MBA will go over the purchase price. I mean considering the logic board is around 600-800. Also applecare has additional perks, say something breaks you get free FedEx overnight to and from.

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Exactly. The base MBP costs $1199 so that means Squaretrade will only replace the logic board once since twice will make it go over the purchase price amount.

18. satchow macrumors 6502

Yup, also if the computer gets replaced, whatever is leftover from the remaining AppleCare gets transferred over to the new computer.

I have SquareTrade for my phones, but AppleCare is a lot nicer for my computer.

19. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Apple replaced one of my power bricks, even though I think it was out of warranty. Wow, don't even get me started on Mag Safe. Yes, I love my Mac, but Mag Safe is one of the things I want to send to a very, very deep grave. I'd hate it a lot less if they allowed anyone to make chargers for it.

20. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

You dont like mag safe?

Try using a windows laptop charger??

They break frequently and over time the connector on the motherboard comes off.

21. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

And, boy, I can't even count how many times I accidentally trip over my cord. I believe if I did it with an HP/Dell laptop, the laptop would come down with me to the ground.

22. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I like the Dell Barrel jacks. They are almost standard plugs, and they are pretty robust. Magsafe is annoying, they come unplugged accidentally all the time. I would hate it a lot less if Apple allowed anyone to make chargers for the laptops, or even just sold tips that adapt to some standard plug for $5 or something.