AppleCare+ or alternatives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SergArtz, Jan 20, 2019.

1. SergArtz macrumors newbie

I'm totally ignorant regarding AppleCare and insurances in general. I just bought a 2018 MBP 15" but I got a bit hesitant about the AppleCare. The reason is: I live and work in Thailand and Apple offers AppleCare but doesn't offer AppleCare+, so I would like to have the accidental damage thing, other than just warranty extension. Though, in my country (Italy) they do offer the AC+ (but I barely go back there).

So the questions are:
    - Can I buy the AppleCare+ from the Italian (or any another one) Apple's website? If so, will it work normally all over the world?
    - Is it better to get even a better insurance that could cover also theft and other damages (in Thailand, road accidents are very common, and even I'm a safe rider, you never know what can happen)?

What would you do in my case?

Any heads up is super appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. SergArtz thread starter macrumors newbie

3. mreg376 macrumors 65816

mreg376

You should get the AppleCare that Apple offers, since I doubt that you want some random repair shop trying to fix a defect that might arise deep in the innards of your machine. If you can find a third-party loss and they policy you can add that separately.

4. dscottj macrumors newbie

dscottj

You should explore if there are companies that offer laptop insurance in your country/area. I waited too long to get applecare+ on my new laptop, so that was my only alternative.

Minus: I ended up with a $100 deductible and, should I need to submit a claim, I'll have to go through the insurance company to get reimbursed.

Plus: It was $125 cheaper than applecare+ and I get better accident coverage. If something happens, I still take it to the apple store to initiate repairs, so there's no worries about fly-by-night repair shops.

That said, I have not needed to submit a claim yet, so even though the company I used (https://www.worthavegroup.com) is well-regarded, I don't have personal experience with their claims process.

5. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

That looks like it might be worth aving in some circumstances.