AppleCare or AT&T insurance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ltcol266845, Jun 19, 2008.

?

AppleCare or AT&T Insurance

1. AppleCare

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. AT&T Headset Insurance

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. ltcol266845 macrumors regular

What do ya'll think?

My initial thought is to go with AT&T insurance, as I am much more concerned with the headset getting dropped/stolen than hardware components going out... BUT, wouldn't AT&T also cover hardware issues? I know with my T-Mobile, they cover hardware issues for the first year of the phone, does AT&T do similar?

2. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I would go with the AT&T handset insurance but hi HIGHLY doubt they will insure this phone. AT&T does not insure all of their handsets, therefore I voted for AppleCare.

I have had a two handsets which I bought while having insurance, only to be told several month later they are not covered and AT&T refunded me back my monthly insurance rate from they date I bough the phone.

You may want to double check with AT&T to be sure they will even offer handset insurance.

3. ltcol266845 thread starter macrumors regular

Yikes! Thats a serious bummer. I am so timid about dropping T-Mobile to cross over to AT&T... I hear so many horror stories. But, thats where the iPhone is.. Curse you T-Mobile for not having a 3G network!!

4. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Applecare for sure.

I have used both wireless insurance for a broken phone and Applecare for a broken ipod. Applecare is hands down a more consumer friendly and easier process.

With wireless insurance you oftentimes have to fill out numerous forms, police reports, etc. before your phone will be warrantied.

5. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Let's play this like ATT insured the iPhone (which they don't)

-Applecare can be bought up to one year after the purchase of the phone, and is pointless before the first year is up.
    -Applecare does not protect you from theft, loss or accidental damage.
    -ATT insurance does.

I'd buy ATT insurance in a heartbeat, it's saved my ass with past phones, and it would eventually help me out with an iPhone. If I planned on having my iPhone for over a year, I'd also buy Applecare just before my year is up. Doing it any earlier is pointless.

But easily, insurance>Applecare. Phones get shattered, splashed and stolen a lot more often then a piece of internal hardware fails.

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

If they ever come out with the price without a contract and the value is over 500 you can do state farm under your homeowners insurance. I have my 16g first gen insured for 30 dollars a year. covers EVERYTHING. Its just like insuring jewelry or tvs. its worth checking into.

7. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Apparently there is a company called safeware that will insure the iphone...

8. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

So is applecare really worth it? I mean if somehow one of my friends dropped my phone or it was broken by accident or something like that, would I be able to get a new one? Or is just for like hardware failure that would be apples fault anyway? Thanks.

9. Kupe macrumors member

AT&T's insurance is subcontracted out to Asurion (Link). According to various (admittedly anecdotal) testimonials you can Google for yourselves, the quality of Asurion's service varies widely. I've found Applecare to be more consistently helpful, so even if I had a choice, I would go with AppleCare.

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Accidental damage, loss, or theft are not covered.

11. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

^^^ Well thats stupid. So if it doesn't cover any of that, what does it cover...... hardware damage that would be apples fault anyway?

12. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Is there any indication that at&t will offer insurance on the iPhone 3G?
    They didn't offer it on the original iPhone

13. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Only for the first year, Apple care extends your coverage to 2 years

14. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

They don't seem to insure the 1G iphone.

15. ltcol266845 thread starter macrumors regular

True, but I wonder if in AT&Ts endeavors to not give the iPhone 3G special consideration, maybe they will... Are many of their other smart phones insured?

16. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Yes they are, but as with the original iPhone I highly doubt that they will cover the iPhone 3G. I believe this can be attributed to insurance fraud.