Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

banjomatic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Which would you recommend for the Ipad? I know that AC provides much better support, but BB warranty also has "normal wear and tear" coverage. I'm thinking AC.

nicegoogly

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
I went with Best Buy simply because it cover incidental damage for a year. Apple Care only works if you keep it in mint condition. This goes for their $99.00 "battery replacement" after warranty expires where they replace the whole unit. If it is perfect shape, they will swap it. If not, you are screwed and can't get your Apple Care prorated either.

banjomatic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
I've heard about Squaretrade, have people had success with this company? Are they reuptable/reliable? How do you go about getting something fixed (assuming it's covered)?

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I have squaretrade on my iPad. I picked squaretrade because it basically covers everything except for theft. Meaning if I drop my iPad, they will fix it. If they can't fix it, they will give you a check for the purchase price of your iPad.

The only warranty claim that I have had to make was through one that I bought with best buy and it was really easy. What happened is I bought a nintendo wii with the best buy warranty...about 14 months later it just stopped working for no apparant reason. I contacted best buy and they sent me a label to mail it in. I mailed it in, and then they sent me a best buy gift card for the total purchase price (including taxes) of the wii. I am not sure if best buy will cover accidental damages.

I think that with apple care, if you accidently damage your iPad, it will void the warranty. Not sure if best buy works the same way.

I highly recommend squaretrade...even though I have never had to file anything with them most of what I have heard about them has been good.

leons

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
The link above works. But, if you click "buy this warranty", it reverts to the original price.

Carl G35c

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
I did bestbuy bc of the accidental and they are a lot of stores near me. VS squaretrade is online, Id rather pay extra and be able to take it to a store front

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.