Applecare or Futureshop warranty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by delacruzjeff, Aug 17, 2010.

1. delacruzjeff macrumors member

With no sign of iLife ’11 today, I am set to buy this new 27” iMac with quad-core i5. I’d rather buy now than wait forever for the new iLife 11. I would like to buy this iMac at Futureshop (Canada) so I can use the store financing. My question is regarding warranty. Should I buy the Applecare direct from Apple or thru Futureshop? They are the same price at $199. Futureshop is much closer than going to Apple store if I will need servicing. Any experience on this?

On the other topic, if I purchase my iMac thru Apple online and I encounter a problem, can I just bring the defective iMac in the store rather than shipping it back?

2. vladzaharia macrumors regular

I am going to say definitely AppleCare. Here's a few reasons why:

Future Shop PSP repairs are no longer done in-house at most stores, so they send off your computer to their repair center, and you get it back in 2 weeks-ish, depending on many things. Also, people have had problems redeeming something like their No Lemon Guarantee. Additionally, you don't really know what certification someone who works on your laptop might have.

With AppleCare, you get the Genius Bar service, as well as the amazing AppleCare help line, which really makes a huge difference. You also know that, whether or not there's an Apple Store nearby, you will get service. Apple has contracts with certain companies to provide support to your device, and you can always have your computer sent in. It applies globally, too.

I generally don't advocate for retailer warranties, simply because the repairmen might not be 100% experienced with the device they are handling. Warranties from the companies themselves are always better, because the people looking at your computer are experienced with the device.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

AppleCare hands down. It doesn't have to be an Apple store for service, just a Authorized Repair place. Also, you can have your iMac shipped to and from Apple directly from your house if you choose. You're also getting genuine Apple parts installed from ACMT's instead of whoever is working in the back of your local shop. Apple Phone support, and you can take it anywhere in the world for service.

4. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Avoid the futureshop warranty at all costs. The first year of the warranty, they basically wrap your computer in a box and send it to Apple to fix it, since it is already covered under Apple warranty.

After the 1st year, the service is just crappy. They send the computers down to some repair depot. There, they just use old parts from other computers beyond repair.

And don't give into their marketing. The salesmen might promise you free replacements and exchanges if you have a defective product. It is not that they are lying but some of them honestly don't know their own service terms.

Don't give into the "free replacement after 3 repairs" thing. That is fake and it is actually 4 repairs(replacement only happens when you bring it in for the 4th repair). And they have to be major failures. Multiple failures of the same part count as one failure. So unless if your computer had a bad harddrive, bad mobo, bad ram and bad videocard, you won't get a replacement computer.

5. delacruzjeff thread starter macrumors member

wow.. i was almost set to buy the warranty at futureshop. good thing I asked here first. But you were all correct about retailers warranty. with Applecare I know I am in good hands.

i might also reconsider just buying it online thru the Apple website and take advantage of the student discount. i'll get the iPod classic 160gb so I can store all my music library and would still end up cheaper than buying at futureshop.

that only thing that will kill me is the WAIT when i order it online... :D

6. vladzaharia macrumors regular

Do you have any Apple Stores nearby? The student discount can be applied in-store with accompanying student ID.

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Best Buy/Futureshop will always try to sell you their in-house warranty over AppleCare because it's more profitable to them. But I can tell you based on years of working at Best Buy in college as a service tech that their extended warranties are complete garbage. The turnaround times are longer, their repair depots are not held up to the same standards as Apple repair facilities, etc.

If you're going to buy an extended warranty at all, get the AppleCare agreement. It may cost a bit more, but it's worth it.