Applecare Or Insurance?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sonic, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Sonic macrumors regular

Hi, I've searched to forums, but can't seem to find a decent answer to this question...

I'm looking to buy a new MBP to replace my dead TiBook. On the old machine I didn't have Applecare but I had it insured with a pro audio insurance company. After a dropping accident the hinge snapped, and after plenty of back and forth calls I got it fixed for free outside of my 1 year warranty. Presumably if the logic board had failed they would have covered that too.

I'm just wondering what's the point of Applecare if I use a comprehensive insurance policy instead?

Any info would me much appreciated!

Also, a side-question... The logic board finally did die on the TiBook, although it's still insured. Should I try to get it fixed and sell it off or just junk it?

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You would be covered by accidental damages. AppleCare is void in the same situation but AppleCare also functions as telephone support for any hardware and software related problems you might have.

3. Sonic thread starter macrumors regular

Well so far it doesn't sound worth it if I only gain phone support. Anyone else want to chime in?

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What is the price of the insurance? If it's a lot more, then maybe it isn't as worth it as it seems.

5. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

DEFINITELY call them and see if they will fix it for you. Trust me. do NOT junk it.

I am not sure what Tibook you had, but I sold mine (pretty darn good condition minus a little bit of pain off on the corners and a scratch on the lid) that was a 800mhz, 1g of ram for 530 dollars on craigslist (no boxes or cds either.. people just really love the tibooks it seems) just about 5 months ago.

If you can get it fixed, you'll def not want to junk it, you could get a decent chunk of money towards your new computer or some extras if you sell it even if it's an older version... 300 for an older version, but def atleast 450 for a better one.

If anything... if they won't fix it, sell it off for parts. You could probably get about 100 just for selling it off as scrap... (screens and good lookin cases for those go decently on ebay)

goodluck!