Applecare+ or LifeProof case?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ridebikesbro, Sep 21, 2014.

1. ridebikesbro macrumors newbie

I'm contemplating buying Applecare+ or waiting until LifeProof comes out with a case for the 6. Has anyone had good experiences with these cases? I've never used one but it seems like a sweet accessory, especially since I use my phone in a variety of iffy situations.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

AppleCare+. These phones are too beautiful to hide them inside a bulky case.

3. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere

The folks I know with a Life Proof case seem to be happy with them. I've held them, and strike me on first impression as a very robust case.

4. neile45 macrumors regular

5. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Is the LifeProof waterproof? As in really truly waterproof?

6. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

AppleCare+

Even a case might not save you. It's always good to have access to an instant replacement for a much reduced rate if you need to use it. Using bulky cases might be too much for these bigger phones.

7. Zexel macrumors member

A Lifeproof case won't do anything for you if a button decides to stop working after a year and three months.

8. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

9. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

10. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

absolutely...

Attached Files:

11. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It is. And big and bulky too.

13. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Any waterproof cases that are less bulky than the LifeProof?

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No. I don't know of any.

15. froggyjo macrumors newbie

LifeProof is essential for me - so important that I wait to buy the 6 before the LifeProof case is out. The case is great, not bulky, doesn't add a lot of weight and I can use my iPhone in all possible conditions (beach, mountains, mountain biking, running etc.).

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

:eek:

I guess we have different definitions of "bulky". It's slightly less bulky than an Otterbox Defender, but a lot bulkier than an Apple case.

The protection it provides is awesome. No doubt. My wife has one on her 5. But it adds too much bulk to a beautiful phone. I mean, almost all cases do. But with bulk you get protection. It's a trade off.

17. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

My life proof did what it was supposed to do. It was a solid case and waterproof. But whenever my phone would ring the back of the case would rattle against the back of the phone making the most God awful plasticy rattle like a kazoo. Also it was a lot of work to use headphones. I ended up returning mine.

So if having a waterproof phone is absolutely essential, it's the case for you. If not, I'd probably just get something smaller and go wih insurance or apple care.

18. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

My wife is the reason I'm looking into a waterproof case. She has dropped her iPhone in the pool before (killed it) and I can see it happening again. :eek:

19. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

The Lifeproof case is indeed waterproof. They actually recommend/strongly suggest that you test the case underwater before putting your phone into it.

I am going naked, but may get a Lifeproof case for when I am poolside, at the beach, or in other potentially damaging situations.

20. AAPLinc, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I swear by the Lifeproof. I've never had Applecare.

I put a Lifeproof on my 5S right after buying, sure it was expensive at $80. But I put that phone down on wet bar tables, took it to the sandy beaches of SoCal, took it kayaking, dropped it a few times on pavement, sat on it a million times, and that phone was in mint condition when I sold it (last week) a year later for $450 on Swappa. Literally not a mark, dent, scratch, ANYTHING. Chamfered edges were mint. I guess it may cover the beauty of the phone, but I love that I can sort of use it more carelessly. I am very OCD about my phone, so with the Lifeproof I don't have to worry at all. And yes, the case was proven to be waterproof (tested beforehand) but I have never taken my phone into a pool or the shower or anything just because I don't want to risk it.

I will always put a Lifeproof on my phones. I'm gonna wait to order the iP6, I gotta get paid, but when I do I am not going to really activate it until I have a Lifeproof case. Applecare might get you a replacement if needed for cheap, but it wont keep your phone mint and it won't allow you to take it ANYWHERE! With a Lifeproof you won't need a replacement, simply because the protection is unmatched. Also, the Lifeproof isn't bulky and in my opinion it's attractive looking. It makes the phone feel so much more solid and bulletproof.