Applecare or not with new ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hasanahmad, Mar 30, 2012.

1. hasanahmad macrumors 6502a

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I got it. It's a little pricey I know but worth if something goes wrong after the first year. Also, if you drop your iPad and shatter the screen you can swap it out for a replacement for $49 instead of being on the hook for a new one.

3. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Me personally, I never by AppleCare. I only keep my iPads for a year anyway and I'm waaaay too careful with my devices to drop them. I treat them like newborn babies.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

Sometimes even newborn babies get dropped; there's a reason they're called "accidents."

The primary question is "does a warranty against breakage/damage warrant a $50/year surcharge - plus $50/incident against a repair that could cost $250 or more?"

The second question is "will the resale value of my iPad be enhanced in a year if the buyer gets a full year of warranty in the sale?"

5. sblanford macrumors newbie

I skipped Applecare for my iPad. I keep it in a case all of the time so I don't think it will break. I purchased the item with my American Express card so I get the extra year of warranty if it breaks.

6. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Consider the money you save by not buying applecare a chip out of the upgrade cost next year. ;)

I never buy extended warranties for electronics. They're one of the biggest wastes of money I can think of.

7. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Or put it this way. Does a possible, unlikely accident warrant $148 ($99 upfront + $49 incident) or 30% of the cost of the base model? For me that's a no, especially as I'd rather invest that in a quality protective cover.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Not in my case. My macbook pro was serviced 3 times outside of the standard one year warranty and saved me the cost of a new machine. I've also had two iPhones replaced under Applecare after the one year warranty.

I remember sitting at the genius bar and the guy telling the customer it would run her $900 to fix her 2 year old laptop. It made more sense for her to just get a new one.

9. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

10. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I just bought a SquareTrade policy for my iPad. They had a special for $79-.

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm super careful with my iPad and I'm also one to swap out after a year so I don't get extended warranties anymore.

Things like the iPhone where are jostled and moved around a lot I can see the point (I got 2 years from my AMEX) but for my iPad I've always had it in a case, carry it out of the house in a bag and am sitting or on the elliptical at the gym when using it 90% of the time.

12. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Yes, the situation is quite different for laptops, especially the high-end macbook pros. I generally don't spend more than $1000 for a computer, so applecare has never really appealed to me.

13. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

Although I treat my devices with the utmost care and rarely have accidents, I'm a big "what if" person, and I plan on using this device for two years at least.

I would rather be safe than sorry, but that's just me.

14. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

No.

If you can afford a frivolous and redundant plaything like the iPad you can certainly afford its replacement value.

BJ

15. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Agreed. Ultimately the iPad is just a big boy/girl's toy. Like a sportscar for nerds.

16. Rychy macrumors 6502

I decided to go with it now that it covers accidents, the peace of mind is nice.

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

Your math is off. If you don't need to file a claim for physical damage you're only out of pocket $100. And if you resell it you can recoup some of that from the buyer who will be happy to have a full year of warranty on a used item.

18. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

I guess if you have a history of items failing every time you buy or you don't buy these items often then maybe.

But Insurance has always been to cover you in case something happens and you can't cover it, IE hurricane, floods, bypass, you know serious stuff you can't afford. If you can cover it then take on the risk yourself, over your lifetime of buying items under a few thousand you will beat the odds. It's all about the odds.

Say 5 years of buying products your odds are better off putting each $100 in a bank account or Apple stock:D We only recently started buying Apple products, about 8 so far:eek: but after a few years I know we will have bought 15 or more iPhones/iPads/etc. I'm much more comfortable having that $1500 in my bank or stock account to cover any lose or repairs...so far no issues and $800 in the bank.

Insurance is all about statistics and odds.

19. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Math is dead on. If you never use the warranty, all you're buying is psychological "peace of mind". Apple loves to profit from such fears.