Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
My other iMac G5 rev A which I bought a year ago for 1000 euros will run out of warranty soon and I´m thinking if 180 euros for Applecare is worth it.

The iMac needs a new logic board now and Apple will fix that and I´m thinking if it is likely to break within next 2 years. I use the computer many hours per day, since it is my working tool.

Another consideration is how expensive it is to have this iMac fixed out of warranty....are the most common repairs very expensive?

If we look at this from a statistical viewpoint, then if there is a 50% probabilities that the iMac needs a repair for more than 360-400 euros within two years, then Applecare is only worth it.

What are your experiences and would you buy Applecare, for this semi-obsolete iMac?

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Definitely get it, Apple repairs are very expensive and if anything goes wrong you will be kicking you self in the face (after you go out and buy a whole new iMac and drop-kick you G5 to get you anger out).

--Cheers

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Its pretty cheap for the iMacs (RRP £139 here in the UK.) and definitely worth it.

Insider (well, reseller) tip - Bargain for it and I'm sure they'll drop the price ;)

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
TMA said:
Its pretty cheap for the iMacs (RRP £139 here in the UK.) and definitely worth it.

Insider (well, reseller) tip - Bargain for it and I'm sure they'll drop the price ;)
The normal price is 214 euros, but since I´m still a student, the price is 179 euros.

Do you think it is possible to bargain for the student price?:rolleyes:

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Willy S said:
The normal price is 214 euros, but since I´m still a student, the price is 179 euros.

Do you think it is possible to bargain for the student price?:rolleyes:

Yes. We currently have 20% off the standard AppleCare price, so if I we had a shop where you are we'd be offering it for 170 euros. Bet you could get them down to 150. :)

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Just another gentle nudge to persuade you - :rolleyes:

The price of AppleCare is the same as 2-3 hours of out-of-warranty labour. That's before you even think of the cost of parts.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
I called Apple and they didn´t want to give my a better price than quoted at Apple´s online store.

Does someone knows where it is possible to get a better price? I believe I can buy the Applecare anywhere in EU since the warranty is valid within the EU.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
Willy S said:
I called Apple and they didn´t want to give my a better price than quoted at Apple´s online store.

Does someone knows where it is possible to get a better price? I believe I can buy the Applecare anywhere in EU since the warranty is valid within the EU.
Any authorised reseller, CompUSA for example

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
I can´t find any on the Internet and I think this is just not worth the hazzle. I´m just going to skip Applecare and use the computer until it fails. Then I´ll see if I can fix it myself or otherwise I´ll just sell it on ebay.

The iMac isn´t worth much more than 700 euros now and even less when it fails, so I don´t have much to loose by not buying this Applecare.

Maybe the iMac won´t fail the next 2 years. People on this forum is always saying that Apple produces so good hardware...

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
You dont have to get in right away, just withing the first year of owning your Apple product. And before the end of that year, a Apple rep. will call u letting u know that your warrenty is about to expire, and ask if you would like to purchase Apple care :).

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
Willy S said:
I can´t find any on the Internet and I think this is just not worth the hazzle. I´m just going to skip Applecare and use the computer until it fails. Then I´ll see if I can fix it myself or otherwise I´ll just sell it on ebay.

The iMac isn´t worth much more than 700 euros now and even less when it fails, so I don´t have much to loose by not buying this Applecare.

Maybe the iMac won´t fail the next 2 years. People on this forum is always saying that Apple produces so good hardware...
Alright, treat it like a new baby and it will last as long as my Quadra (13 Years and still kicking)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.