AppleCare or Store Plan?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TweakyDragon, Apr 23, 2012.

1. TweakyDragon macrumors newbie

I'm currently waiting for the 2012 refresh to get my first Macbook and was just looking to get peoples opinions on the different protection plans out there. I was originally looking to just get the AppleCare plan. After looking at some stores the sales people have tried to steer me into getting their warranty plans. The biggest thing that has stood out to me is that most of the plans I have looked at have included accidental damage and are no more expensive or even cheaper than AppleCare. So which should I go with AppleCare, store plan, or both? Thanks for all the help!

PS Cant wait to join the cult ... just dont ask me to drink the kool-aid :p

2. Bear macrumors G3

You didn't mention what store, but if it's Best Buy (or any store), who covers it if the store goes out of business?

3. kontakt5, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

kontakt5 macrumors newbie

I went with Apple care, as I am on my first Mac and didn't want to risk it with the store i.e change of management, different staff / managers etc. as I had a hp laptop that had problems, but had to get it repaired myself as it wasn't covered in their policy.

4. roofz macrumors regular

Good point, and I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of best buy going out of business

5. TweakyDragon, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

TweakyDragon thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for lack of store. It would either be Best Buy or AAFES.

6. DrNick8404 macrumors member

DrNick8404

I bought the plan through the Marine Corps Exchange (AAFES) Best plan. 10x better than apple care

7. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Geek Squad protection plans are covered by insurance. If they go out of business, you'll be fine. What makes you guys think Best Buy is going out of business. You do know they banked $2.5 Billion last year right?

8. Bear macrumors G3

I never said they were going out of business, it was a what is question since the store wasn't specified.

However, Best Buy is closing 50 stores and they may go the way of CompUSA and some other stores.

9. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

If your going to buy it on a military base then I would go with the AAFES my brother is a Marine and has his MBA replaced under the plan with no hassle. I have Applecare on my MBP being that I am not in the military and I have always had a good experience with it, I have made several genius bar appts and my issue has always be resolved free of charge. I look at it this way, Apples are kind of like a BMW they are both expensive and you always get the extended warranty.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Umm, they lost $1.7 Billion in the last quarter alone.

11. roofz macrumors regular

best buy isn't going anywhere in the near future. just double checked their 10-k, and they're still making money and on an upward trend.

[​IMG]

12. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Circuit City was doing fine as well, and then they took a severe nose dive. The CEO has recently stepped down and this may help, but it still doesn't say much that BB is known as the show room for Amazon. Their problem is that they are a B&M retailer in what is fast becoming an internet retailer world. Their overhead, pricing structure, and inventory plans are not currently aligned to be competitive in an internet retail driven world. If they can rectify this, I see them being around for a while, if not, well then the handwriting is on the wall I am afraid.

Back on topic, The AAFES will back the soldier and is a good plan, just make sure that you will be able to fully utilize it if needed. If getting out of the military before the plan ends, or not having a way to get it for repair through a service member, you may have issues (as sometimes AAFES can be a hassle for anon-military purchaser as that is not whom the system is designed for) getting the repair completed under warranty. Also, I am not sure whether the plan is transferrable if sold, whereas AppleCare is (just one thing to think about). I would also verify that the model is the most recent, if that matters to you, as most of the Exchanges I have been in the models were not the most recent releases.

13. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Past performance in no indicator of future performance. While BB seems to be doing OK; unless they figure out how to compete with Amazon and general retailers like Wal-Mart and Target they are likely to be gone or a shadow of their former self in a few years.

14. roofz macrumors regular

key word: near future

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

...and there are plenty out there:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1139522

If you can't find anything with search then try a site restricted Google search (how I ran across that thread).