Applecare or Store warranty??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by budkid, Dec 23, 2008.

1. budkid macrumors regular

I recently picked up an Ipod touch from target. Would it be better to buy applecare or just get the store warranty? I live by many apple stores so it wont be a problem taking it to an apple store.

Anybody have past experiences with retail stores or the apple store warranty coverage?

2. therealdt macrumors regular

I bought the Applecare, but if I had to do it all over again, I would not. I think it's a waste of money. The store warranty usually offers accidental damage protection, so that would be good. The only time I think AppleCare is good, is for a major purchase.

3. Applepwns macrumors member

Agreed. I know Bestbuy has a really good warranty. I wouldn't get applecare unless im buying a mac pro, or a top of the line macbook pro.

4. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I'd say the store warranty would most likely be more convenient. Not sure how close you are to an Apple Store, if you're not close then you'll have to send it in if you need it replaced, and you'll get a refurbished back. With the store warranty you'll just get a new one.

5. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

I don't know, at least for laptops I've had great experience with Applecare

6. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

I'm just curious, you guys say that Bestbuy has a good warranty that covers accidental damage and stuff.
    Then you say, you'd only get Applecare for a big ticket item.
    If say a Bestbuy warranty is better for an iPod, wouldn't it be better for a MBP?
    I don't follow your reasoning.:confused:

7. therealdt macrumors regular

From what I heard if something happens, you can either take it to a Genius (who knows what BestBuy uses), or they will replace it , or sometimes they'll give you they next model up. I would not not buy a laptop, desktop, etc from a BestBuy.

8. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

Doesn't explain much to me, but thanks for the reply.:)

9. w0by macrumors regular

Apple Care vs Best Buy

I'd rather buy a warranty from Best Buy. I've had problems with my Macbook Pro when it was under Apple warranty, and under AppleCare warranty. Apple isn't too excited about replacing/fixing things with their warranties. Take it to Best Buy and they just take it from you and give you a new one or fix it, no questions asked, (unless of course you purposly damaged the item which voids pretty much any warranty) Plus there are way more Best Buys than Apple stores if you ever decide to sell the item.

10. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

That's what I was thinking too.
    The nearest Applestore is 2200kms. or 23 hrs. driving time away from me, lol.
    Bestbuy, 5 kms. or 8 an minute drive.

I don't see what's so great about Applecare.

I'm not trying to bash Applecare, but no one has made any good points about it.

11. budkid thread starter macrumors regular

So basically, Applecare would give you a refurb unit if your unit goes bad. And Retailers would just replace it?

I already bought my touch at target, could I go back and request the warranty? or too late?

12. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

I just checked the Target extra warranty and you have to purchase it concurrently with the iPod. I guess if you really feel the need to have extra warranty, you'll have to get Applecare at this point. I got Applecare for my touch only because I got it for $23.00, otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered.

BTW, the Target warranty says " AT OUR OPTION, REPLACEMENTS WILL BE NEW, REMANUFACTURED, OR NON-ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER’S PARTS OR PRODUCTS THAT PERFORM TO THE FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS OF THE ORIGINAL PRODUCT. "

13. therealdt macrumors regular

Most of these warranties are 'scams'. They're pushed upon you and they're 'worthless'. Besybuy is a middle man, you have a problem they send it off to who knows where. With Applecare you get 3 years of telephone support among other things. From what I hear you're only allowed to use the accidental coverage once. You really have to read the fine print and see what's best for you. I know I wouldn't waste a dime with Bestbuy coverage.

Also when Applecare you have a whole year to purchase. These other warranties you must buy at time of purchase.