Applecare ownership transfer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigjnyc, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Hey guys I recently sold my iMac with applecare. The new owner tried to transfer the applecare to their name, I received an email from apple telling me that in order to complete this change i needed to provide proof of purchase for the applecare. the thing is that i purchased it on ebay so i really dont have any proof of purchase. Is there anything i can do or say to them in order for the transfer to go through :confused:

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

can't you get a print out from your ebay account, does it show previous purchases? What about your paypal account does that have records?

sorry just an idea as i have not used ebay for a long time.

3. bkarabel macrumors member

Best to my knowledge applecare goes with the product. You can print proof of coverage from apple`s website and that should be sufficient. All they have to do is change the name of the owner, applecare stays with the machine.

4. larry k. macrumors newbie

This happened to me a few years ago with my Power Mac. I purchased AppleCare for it on eBay trying to save money. I looked into selling my Power Mac a few months before AppleCare expired and contacted Apple to see what I needed to do to transfer it. Apple told me that AppleCare had to be purchased from an authorized seller. Since the seller I bought it from was not authorized I was out of luck. Apple wouldn't let me transfer it. I just waited until my warranty was up and then sold it. I'll never buy AppleCare from eBay again.

5. misterpasta macrumors member

Agreement Terms

You may transfer this Plan to a new owner of the Covered Equipment by sending, faxing or e- mailing notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN: Agreement Administration, MS: 217AC, 2511 Laguna
    Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-399-7337 or agmts_transfer@apple.com,
    respectively.

You must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers of the Covered Equipment being transferred, proof of purchase of the Plan, and the name, address, telephone
    number and email address of the new owner.

6. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

yes I got that in an email but unfortunately I don't have the proof of purchase which has to be from an authorized reseller, Had i known this i would have purchased from somewhere other than ebay.

I guess there is no work around?

But the new owner can just take the machine into an apple store for repair and as long as he has the serial number they wont ask for me or anything, I mean the machine wont be reported stolen or anything like that.