AppleCare Plan for 15" Macbook Pro for College Student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MB98XJ, Jun 29, 2009.

1. MB98XJ macrumors member

MB98XJ

I am going off to college in the fall and plan on using my laptop for the full 4 years. Now, I'm looking at the 15" MB Pro with both graphics cards because I was told it will help the system run smoother and I may want to play a game or two (nothing intense though).

15" MB Pro w/ 2.66 processor w/ education discount: $1850.
    Applecare extended plan: $239

I work a minimum wage job during the summer and need to save all the extra money I can for books and normal college expenses. I'm paying for all of it myself and I know that many people have had great experiences with applecare and if I don't buy it the same time as my laptop, I might not have the money in the fall for the plan and be SOL... My parents don't want me to buy the plan because they want me to have enough money for books etc..

It is a very tight squeeze but I will probably be able to fit the plan into my budget because who knows how my laptop is going to act two years down the road. Also, in college the laptop will need to be with me at all times to avoid being stolen so it will get a bunch of use and I will be using it frequently.

Any opinions? Advice?

2. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Well, you do have a year to buy it. Perhaps a birthday present? :D

3. MB98XJ thread starter macrumors member

MB98XJ

Very true. The AppleCare will give me piece of mind but I don't have to buy for an entire year. My parents just told me they don't know if they can squeeze it, but possibly.

4. MB98XJ thread starter macrumors member

MB98XJ

I might go for the lower end 15" Macbook Pro. I don't do any video editing or anything like that. And do you think the lower end 15" MB Pro could handle some GTA4 or COD? This will be my first Mac.

5. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

I don't know from experience, but a few days ago, someone posted a video playing GTAIV from their 13", so I'd imagine it run on the 15". Not sure what sort of setup that poster had, though.

6. Adapsys macrumors member

Adapsys

Now correct me if I'm wrong but here in the UK at least if you buy a mac from the online store you get applecare for free.

This is a little misleading as when you buy the mac there is still an option to purchase applecare. The clue is that applecare is usually shown as greatly discounted (£60 instead of £250). I asked an apple rep about this and they said the £60 is an upgrade to 3 years phone support. Without it you just get applecare on the hardware for 3 years.

Worth checking this as you could save yourself some money!

7. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

I used to work at an Uni Help Desk. Most common problem was data loss. I would get a drive for time machine asap after you start compiling saved papers and work and then get AppleCare before the year is up. Continuous phone support is kinda a moot point, you can use these forums after all already.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd recommend that you get Applecare -for peace of mind as you will already have spent quite a lot of money. However, as your original warranty will last for a full year after your purchase you have until the end of that year to add Applecare (but not a day longer).

Cheers and good luck

9. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

Make sure you buy applecare before the year is out, like start your fund for saving right now, it's so worth buying. You don't need to buy it with the computer but for college you really DO need it

10. MicahFreak82 macrumors member

I totally suggest apple care and in time it usually pays for itself.
    I also just got the same macbook pro and will wait a bit to get applecare.
    But if your parents are concerned about textbook prices try half.com it sells used textbooks at a major discount. it really is the ebay of textbooks. Well have fun with your new macbook pro. i know that i am

11. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

You're wrong. What you get included with Higher Education purchases from the Apple Store (online or retail) is an 3 year warranty as required by the Higher Education National Agreement.

This is only available to Higher Education customers, and in addition to telephone support covers you for things like battery replacements within the 3 years, which otherwise might not be included with the 3 year HE warranty.

David

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

By a refurbed mbp from the online store and put the savings into applecare. Honestly the first gen unibody 2.4 mbp should do what you want it to just fine.

13. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Buy applecare, it is definitely a great peace of mind in case anything happens. Macs are good, but they are not infallible, and you dont want to be caught when something happens. Trust me it is worth the extra cost if something goes wrong. Plus you will be using it a lot for college and you never know what to expect...better safe than sorry.